Every cat owner has to periodically brush their kitty because some cats tend to moult seasonally twice a year, and little hairballs gathering on your floor won’t be the only thing you will have to endure.
If you don’t brush your cat regularly, there will be a random hair storm every now and then when your cat spontaneously explodes in a wild frenzy of hairballs.
In other words, there is a good chance you’ll go bald before your cat, because of hairballs!
Brushing yourself used to be a daunting task for a cat owner, and it can be tricky for a first time cat owner.
But do not fret!
I will give you a rundown of the pros and cons of the most popular brushes for cat shedding I’ve come across myself.
I will also provide some useful tips on how to brush your cat and how to get the most out of it.
|Furminator Longhair deShedding Tool||Best Overall|
|JW Pet Company GripSoft Cat Comb||Budget Pick|
|FURminator for Cats||Upgrade Pick|
1. Furminator Longhair deShedding Tool
- Less stress for you and your pet
- The red and white color stands out and the ergonomic design is easy to hold
- Powerful deShedding and grooming tool collects more hair than fingers alone
The body of this deShedding tool is colored red and white to grab your pet’s attention. It features layers of stainless steel and other tightly woven materials which make de Shedding effortless.
You can ready the long-hair deShedding tool for use immediately with just one hand. You will need to change the blades after using it for a few months. But changing it is easy to do and should not be a problem.
The Furminator Rat detangling tool includes a free eBook which help you to care for your pet’s hair and nails in addition to its deShedding tool.
2. FURminator for Cats
- Combines grooming and combing to make both quicker and more effective
- Helps to reduce hairballs
- For both cat and dog grooming
- Reduces shedding by up to 90%
- Manufactured from stainless steel
- Handles both long and short hair
- Fade free and time saving
- Long lasting and durable
- Cheap, yet worth every penny
- If you are thinking of buying brushes for your cat, this is the one to buy
- Note, I bought it after checking customer reviews and seeing that it is rated as the best. I had not thought that there would actually be a brush good enough to make a cat lose all of its fur. It really does work that well!
This fantastic deShedding brush is one of the most reviewed pet grooming brushes on Amazon. The FURminator is also the best-selling pet grooming product on their site. This is in spite of being significantly more expensive than its closest competitor.
As there are so many reviews on this product, let’s just take a look at a few of the benefits.
It was ranked number one among pet brushes by Dog Breeds Plus. They praised it for its effectiveness in removing hair, and its affordability, dealing with both long and short haired cats.
3. Pixikko Stainless Steel Cat Shedding Comb
- stainless steel cat brush
- An easy way to remove loose cat hair from your cat
- The handle is ergonomically shaped and made from comfortable, durable materials
- Provides a way to remove harmful cat dander, hair, and skin particles without damaging the cat
- stainless steel comb is ideal for re-growing hair and prevent matting from fur
- Weighs less than an ounce
The Pixikko stainless steel cat brush is an essential accessory for any cat owner.
All cats shed, but some shed considerably more than others, and in different ways.
Other cat grooming brushes are made of cat-safe materials, which means that a cat has to work up a sweat to use it, and it takes a long time to get any hair or other particles off of a cat.
4. Pet Grooming Brush Effectively Reduces Shedding by Up to 95% Professional Deshedding Tool
- High quality design
- Comes with replacement blades
- Thin, lightweight, and manageable for most cat breeds; this brush is ideal for daily use, even in dense and medium-length fur cats. You will also be able to use this deshedding tool for dogs with dry or long fur types.
- This deshedding tool is ideal for both on and off-season grooming. It would suit you if you like grooming your pet frequently.
- The product comes with a lifetime warranty
- Careful around ears
- You may want to take your time learning how to use this deshedding tool the first time. It may take a few minutes to learn how to use properly.
The Pet Republique brush can be used for wet and dry grooming and for removing dander.
It is super-safe for use on cats with sensitive skin or cats that hate having their bodies brushed. This product will save you time when grooming your cats and dogs as there will be less shedding, less matting and it may also cut your grooming appointments down to size.
The Pet Republique brush also comes with replacement out the front blades you can replace regularly, as and when you need to.
5. Chirpy Pets Dog & Cat Brush
- Provides a thorough rid of the dead hair on your pet
- Includes two brush sizes
- Both large brushes are flexible and sturdy
- The small brush is designed for hard to reach areas
Hair Brushing Glove with 2 Stainless Steel Deshedder for Dogs, Cats, Small Animals.
This is the best cat brushes for shedding the dead hair from your pet in 2019 and beyond. The brush is made with teeth and a soft nylon pad that will grab the loose hair and depositing it in the bristle channel, making sure it is not all over your house. This brush is great for both hair types.
While this brush can be used on all textures and breeds, it is designed for smaller animals with a little more texture to the fur.
6. CeleMoon Ultra-Soft Silicone Washable Cat Grooming Shedding Massage/Bath Brush
- Doing your research should help you avoid this item
- Cats are going to be uncomfortable or confused while using this shedding brush
- In the review you read, it states that the base is so heavy it slides all over the place and their cat has stopped using it
- Beginner cat owners are likely to give up on grooming because this is not effective for the cat
- Unfortunately the cat will still be fine around other animals that have hair and will want to play with them or be groomed by them
- The cat will groom itself if it can around its new, easier to reach areas, but it may not have access to those areas
- You have selected an item that does not fit the size of your cat nor its personality
- There is not proper protection for your cat with this item
7. Hertzko Long and Short Teeth Comb Grooms Your Pet’s Top Coat and Undercoat at Once
- Two trimmers in one
- Very easy to use
- Nails scissors help to trim nails
With Short, Medium, Long or All Coat Lipoma, Hypodermis and Pet Acne.
This double-sided comb helps to remove dead and loose hair and to make your cat or dog healthier. The product comes with an instruction manual which will advise you about the use of the grooming device.
This double-sided comb will dramatically help you to reduce the amount of hair sprayed around in your house!
8. JW Pet Company GripSoft Cat Comb
- Perfect for checking over your cat to see if it needs to be brushed
- Very gentle and won’t hurt your cat
- Wide enough to handle rambunctious kitties
- Available in a variety of colors
- Has a flexible, contoured head
- Available in a range of sizes
JW Pet Company is one of many companies in America that have started making products for your furry friends. The company has been founded with the pets of the family as the main focus. The company has a range of products that they claim will help with the grooming of your pets.
The JW GripSoft Cat Comb is designed to make grooming your cat easy. It is simple and easy to use. In fact, you will be able to get good results with this comb in less than a minute. This comb is also very gentle on your pet’s skin. That is especially important for your pet’s comfort and your own.
9. BV Dog Brush and Cat Brush
- Very versatile
- Works as a comb or brush
- Very affordable
- Silicone head is a very gentle fur-remover for long-haired animals as well as cats who have allergies
- Does not steal the natural oils from the skin (wool can remove oils from your animal’s fur)
- The silicone is very bendable and will lose shape very easily
- Requires some elbow grease during use
For Your Pet Cat, Natural Silicone and Nylon Hair Comb (Size 7.5")
The BV brush, which is made from silicone and nylon, is the perfect tool to help with removing dead undercoat and shedding fur during the shedding season.
The brush can also be used on animals with allergies.
10. Tminnov Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- Removes lose and tangled hair from your pet
- Works great for all types of coats, long or short
- You can use it directly on your pet, or on an extension pole to save you some back aches
- Great for breeds that shed a lot like the Husky and the Beagle
- A well-made combo, that doesn’t seem to break apart like other brushes
This is one of the most popular pet brushes on the market. This brush features a comb with broad, smooth-edged, curved, and fine-edged ends. A wire pin rotates to cover the variety of surfaces of the pet’s body. With the use of stainless steel, the rapid spinning of the wire pin won’t cause any harm to your pet.
This brush is best used on medium and long coated friends. This brush is a great tool for shedding because it removes hair and reduce shedding during the washing process. This is also a great tool if your pet is a breed that shed a lot.
This brush can be used during the washing process on your pet and it won’t be a burden to use.
11. Dog Comb
- Great for long-haired cats
- You can check out the detailed ebook that comes with the brush for grooming tips and tricks
If you have a cat that has long hair, then you know how quickly hairballs can be a big problem in your home.
Giving your cat a regular grooming routine will not only help reduce shedding but also help prevent this from happening.
Grooming your cat does not have to be hard work though, and this item will help you do it. You can check out the detailed ebook that comes with the brush for grooming tips and tricks.
12. Hertzko Soft Pet Brush
- Lifetime warranty
- Completely non-abrasive
- Great for long haired as well as short haired cats
- Makes the job of grooming an enjoyable experience for both of you
- Helps manage shedding
- Reduces hairballs and stops mats
- Can be flimsy
- Not universal
- Plastic is too flexible, cheap feeling
Pet – Highly Recommended by Dog and Cat Owners, Groomers and Veterinarians.
This is a high quality, non-abrasive grooming tool for both dog and cat that’s suitable for every day use.
It is so effective that it’s been proven to reduce shedding by up to 90%, therefore, it not only makes your job of grooming a much quicker process, it also helps manage your cat’s hairball issues.
13. Gorilla Grip Premium Pet Grooming Brush
- One of the more versatile brushes on the market
- Can be used on animals with long or short hair
- Works very well at removing loose hair
- Did not snap or stain
- Removes loose hair very well
The Gorilla Grip Deshedding brush is designed to make grooming your cat as easy as possible. Another thing about this brush is, it is very good at removing unwanted hair from your cat. There are no metal tines that scratch your pet’s skin! It helps to reduce shedding and damage. If you have a long-haired cat, it will also help reduce the amount of hair on your clothes. This brush can be used on long or short-haired cats.
The handle on this deshedding tool is perfect for those who want a more ergonomic look to their brush. It is comfortable for you to grip and also helps to reduce stress on your hand and wrist.
The brush has straight tines, which means it will work on both long-haired and short-haired dogs. You may want to limit the use of this brush on short haired dogs, because the tines are close together, which increases the risk of snagging hair.
14. Detangling Pet Comb
- The stainless steel tips are incredibly gentle on your pet’s skin
- The ergonomic handle provides a comfortable grip for the user
- The brush is easy to clean and maintain
- The wooden handle is sturdy and does not break easily
- The medium and large sizes are slightly larger than expected, especially when shipped out of China where they are size up as a precaution.
This is by far the best cat brush I have used, and I use it on all of my animals “ a total of 16. The brush is sturdy enough to handle tough knots, yet is gentle enough to use on a regular basis.
The set includes a medium-sized pet comb used for medium to large dogs, a small sized comb for small dogs, and a large brush for large dogs. I have a black lab/beagle mix (very, very long hair), and I use the large size on her. It is gentle enough for use everyday.
When I first gave my dog this brush she tried to chew it a few times but eventually got used to it. Keep in mind, she has never had a brush before. Now, she completely loves it when I brush her with it.
15. Famobest Dog Brush & Cat Brush
- Made for all coat types, short or long
I decided to try this one out. It’s different. I have to crack down on the cats a bit more than with a normal brush, but it works. They are strange looking brushes, but I’m sure they work. One of the best parts about this brush: there are no loose hairs on me after using it.
If your cat tends to have a short or fine coat but you are looking for a brush that will last for a long time then this is a good option. The company has done a great job with this brush by utilizing synthetic, high quality bristles. The bristles are easy to clean and very durable.
This product is very easy to use and can work for both long haired and short haired cats. You will be very impressed with this product and your cat will love it.
16. ThatsPet Dog and Cat Brush
- Great prices compared to other brands
- Extra large head to fit all parts of your pet easily
- Brush is designed with gentle and flexible bristles
- The slim design encourages pet’s natural rest as they are easier to clean
- Perfect for all coats, long and short hair
- Comes with a carry cover bag for easy storage and travel
- Removes up to 95% of loose hair
- Time-efficient alternative way to clean them without one of mom’s baths
- Not very sturdy with long-term use
- Not great for furred animals
The ThatsPet Dog and Cat Brush for Shedding is my top pick as you can choose the color you want and the value is great. It has excellent reviews.
It can reduce shedding by up to 95%, which saves you a load of time and a lot of clean up! The brush comb is also great for releasing skin oils that often cause shedding. It is perfect for all coats, long and short hair. It is gentle and flexible with the bristles.
The head is super large, so you get it all with one brush of the undercoat. This brush is very low maintenance. All you need to do is out the brush in water and shake off.
17. PETKIT Cat Brush
- Great for pets with sensitive skin and allergy issues
- Has a wide range of sizes so you are able to find the right brush for your pet
- Has a great grip on the handle
With regular brushing, this brush will reduce shedding up to 90%, and most pet owners reported that it indeed does reduce shedding.
A few users also mentioned that their pets didn’t like using this brush at first, but then became accustomed to it after a few uses. Most were also pleased with the quick delivery.
Although this brush is significantly more expensive than many of the others out there, it’s a great choice for pet owners who are tired of dealing with massive amounts of loose hair.
18. Emours Pet Rubber Grooming Brush Massager
- This brush was designed specifically for felines, so if you are looking for something specific for furry felines this just might be the one for you
- The loop handle is perfect for cats wanting some self-grooming
The Emours Pet Rubber Grooming Brush Massager with Adjustable Loop Handle & Stainless Steel Pin, Color May Varies is designed for cat owners as it makes it easy to brush your cat and to keep your felines coats looking lovely.
The rubber brush is made up of natural rubber bristles that are gentle enough for your cats skin but also tough enough to help remove any loose hair. The neck loop allows your cat to groom himself easily making this a great brush for self grooming.
The all-natural rubber design helps to remove loose hair from your cats without robbing them of the important oils from their skin and hair.
19. Hartz Groomer's Best Fur Fetcher De-Shedder Cat Brush
- This affordable brush can remove a lot of fur with just one stroke
- It can remove hair from any cat or dog breed
- It will remove loose hair but it also works on thick mats
- The bristle are paired in three rows for a more thorough brushing
- The short handle allows you to reach those hard-to-get-to places
- Although it works great for cats, it will also work well on your cat
- If your cat does not like being brushed, this may not be the right solve.
With all the benefits it has to offer, you might need to consider getting two of these pet brushes – one for your pet and one for yourself. So, if you want to effectively remove hair and dander, this cat brush for shedding is the right product for you.
20. innopet Upgraded version Cat Self Groomer
- Pretty in Pink
- When using this cat brush, you can see your cat going crazy over it
- This brush helps cats shed their dead hairs and it keeps them from shedding indoors anymore
- Part of the catnip that comes with this brush smells so fragrant that your cat will love it
- A Fun Time For Your Cat
- Has a very strong catnip scent
- It will scratch cats and they might get mad at you when you’re grooming them with this awesome brush
- Can cause hairballs
- What it comes with: Cat brush, catnip, and a manual/guidebook on how to use it properly.
The brush helps your kitty shed extra hair.
And since your cat won’t need to shed extra hair indoors, it’ll keep your house clean and free of fur. Each time you use this brush, you can hear your cat going crazy.
This brush will help his fur stop clinging to the furniture and his dander will get removed. What’s even better is that it will keep his fur from clinging to your clothes when you pet him. The brush will keep the fur from falling to the floor of your home and collecting in your carpets.
21. Kingtree Cat Self Groomer
- Available in single or 2-packs (depending on pet size)
- Some cats love the massaging effect of the springs
- Easy to install and use
- Some cats don’t like the texture of the springs
- Possible to misplace the pins
When it comes to keeping your cat free of loose, shedding hair, the Kingtree Self Groomer Massage Brush is designed to do just that. This cat brush promises to banish hairballs and keep your kitty looking and feeling their best.
Simply use the two self grooming combs for short hair or long fur to remove loose hair and massaging the brush will help freed tied up fur to stay put in the comb. It helps to reduce your kitty’s hairballs by picking up loose hair from the floor and trapping it into the comb.
22. Hertzko Dog Brush & Cat Brush
- Comes with two brushes in one for your dogs and cats needs
- Value for money
A bit on the weak side. The bristles can easily fall out and can break if you try to remove loose hair.
I was pleasantly surprised when I received this brush and saw that it has two brushes in one. One is perfect for pets that shed a lot, while the other is perfect for pets that shed a bit.
This brush is actually made for large and small pets. So basically if you have a dog or a cat, this brush can work great for you.
23. Furminator Shorthair deShedding Tool
- The pin brush helps to remove loose hair
- Compact design
And Kittens, Size M.
This cat brush quickly releases hair straight from your kitten’s coat. Instead of remaining embedded in their coat, their hair comes off easily so it doesn’t come loose around your home.
This is a pin brush so it will remove loose hair, but it also has a protective feature. The rounded pins will gently massage your cat as they brush it. This will give your feline a relaxing experience, which is something that they deserve after having a rough day at the office.
24. FURbeast Shedding Brush
- Easy to clean
- Great at removing loose dander and dandruff
Connecting with your pet is a vital part of being a pet parent, and the FURbeast Shedding Pet Brush is designed to make it easier with its ergonomic design to fit in your hand. Claiming to offer the best brushing experience with your pet, the FURbeast brush features 4 different sizes of stainless steel pins that reach deep into your pet's coat and gently remove loose hair.
The shedding brush also features a rubberized non-slip grip that adds comfort and reduces stress on your hand during brushing. In addition, the FURbeast Grooming Brush offers a 9.84" (25 cm) long stainless steel handle that allows your dog the run room, while being short enough for ground-level use.
25. Safari Cat Shedding Comb
- Easily removed hair with virtually no tugging
- Super affordable
This is a useful little tool you can use to remove loose hair from your cat. It comes with a comfortable handle, which I much prefer over a traditional thumb grip.
The blades are strong enough to cut the hair, but the angle is gentle enough that you never have to worry about hurting your cat while you use it. The coarse side will be able to quickly remove the loose hair from your cat, where the fine side will help catch even the finest hair and get your cat looking cleaner and shinier.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best brush for shedding cats?
If you have a cat, you probably live with hair tumbleweeds. A lot of people hate it, but I love having cat hair everywhere. It reminds me of my feline friends and the love I have for them. Still, if you like perfect order and smooth surfaces, the cat shedding process makes you want to tear your hair out.
Fortunately, one of the worst parts of having a cat is that you can solve this problem with the proper cat brush. The problem is that every one of us has different standards as to what constitutes the best cat brush.
In this section, we'll cover both the best brush for short haired cats and the brush for long haired cats. For each of these brushes, we'll look at common considerations that may include material, function, and handling.
Does brushing a cat make it shed more?
The short answer is no. Brushing your cat has a variety of benefits, but nothing to do with making your cat shed more. Despite several pet food manufacturers suggesting that stripping out the dead hair as a way to decrease shedding, there isn't any evidence that this works or that it makes it less likely that your cat will shed. However, if your cat enjoys being brushed, the endorphin release from this can help to reduce stress .
A more relevant question and the one we often get asked is how to minimise shedding. There are a couple of approaches that you can take to help reduce hair loss: maintaining a healthy diet, and using a good quality brush. A good brush will preferably help to work out any trapped undercoat hairs that can cause an all over shedding of hair. In fact, if you have a shedding issue with your cat, you might want to look into the various brush options on the market and experiment with a few styles.
Does brushing help cat dandruff?
A step you can take after bathing your cat to help with shedding and to prevent dandruff is to brush your cat daily. With this process, you are removing loose, dead, or matting hair. You can also prevent dandruff if you keep your cat’s dry areas, like the ears and tail parts, dry and free from moisture.
Do Deshedding brushes hurt cats?
Actually, your kitty might be getting more pleasure out of the deshedding brush than you are. Shedding hair carries all sorts of bacteria and can lead to some pretty serious illnesses. Using a deshedding brush under a watchful and gentle hand, can help shed up to 90% of the hair. That means your kitty is happier and healthier.
With a deshedding brush from a reputable company, there's no reason to worry about your cat feeling pain. It is slightly confusing that some cats meow more when you're using a deshedding brush, but that's simply because they're enjoying the exfoliation. Usually, your kitty will run off and purr once you're finished with your brushing session.
Have you ever noticed how you can have a dandruff problem when you bring a new cat home? You may have a cat that’s very mild or one that’s super-shedding. In those cases, a good brush makes a world of difference! To increase the chances of choosing the right brushes, we did the leg work for you by doing in-depth research, then coming up with the best value for money and best-performing brushes.
The problem in choosing one brush over the other lies in the fact that off-brands and knock-offs have been flooding the market with low-quality products that are just too good to be true.
|Furminator Longhair deShedding Tool||Best Overall|
|JW Pet Company GripSoft Cat Comb||Budget Pick|
|FURminator for Cats||Upgrade Pick|