When you're first introduced to your new kitty, it's important that you keep them calm and happy. Here's our complete list of the best cat calming treats and chews for both indoor and outdoor cats.
They're natural and safe ways to keep your little furball feeling calm and content when faced with new surroundings. They're also great for helping to deal with being left home alone or for anxiety from any other factors.
|Ark Naturals Happy Traveler||Best Overall|
|Nutri-Vet Multi-Vite Paw-Gel||Budget Pick|
|VetriScience Composure Pro Bite Size Chews||Upgrade Pick|
1. Ark Naturals Happy Traveler
- Small calming treats that can easily be mixed in with your pet’s regular food
- Made with ingredients that are completely safe for pets, there’s no need to worry about whether they’re safe or not
- Reduces anxiety and nervousness in pets, allowing them to have a more positive experience when traveling from place to place
- Can be used to relieve your pet from being anxious while at the veterinarian’s office or while out on a walk
- The ingredients in these treats are even good for your pets skin and coat
Safe & Effective, 0.07 Ounce
There are big misconceptions out there about how cats should behave around strangers, which is bound to be the case when there are multiple mixed signals being sent to them.
This is why cats can be extremely nervous around new people and even members of your own family, which could be a potential problem if you plan on bringing home any new people.
2. VetriScience Composure Pro Bite Size Chews
- Vet Recommended
- Ingredients are natural and sourced in the U.S
- Proven to relieve anxiety
- A great alternative to over the counter medications
- Made in the U.S
- Money Back Guarantee
- Available without the Phenylpropanolamine
- Gently taffy-based treats provide a pleasant tasting support for stressful times
- We would like to see more ingredients in this formula
- If the chew treats get wet the smell decreases
- Multi-pack packaging can be difficult to use for smaller cats
- Some reviewers noted that even the small size treat was too big for their cats
VetriScience is the only brand of pet calming treats that uses a patented pheromone formula that mimics the "smell of a mother dog's and her puppies" and is proven to be effective for stress related behaviors.
These treats are made with all natural ingredients like Chicken, Timothy Grass Meal, and Apple, lacking any artificial ingredients, wheat, corn, or soy.
These treats are not only beneficial to target specific stress related behaviors. They may also be beneficial to cats that have bladder, kidney, or urinary problems.
3. House of Healing Hemp Oil
- Promotes Joint Comfort
This herbal hemp oil for cats and dogs is one of the most highly-rated hemp treats for calming. These chews can be broken into smaller pieces and given to your pet to enjoy. House of Healing uses 100 percent CBD-rich hemp in making this product that comes with zero THC. The ingredients in this excellent pet calming treat include: hemp seed oil, EPS hemp extract, safflower oil (or another option is flax seed oil), water, and ice blue pure natural tocopherols. There is no salt, preservatives, artificial coloring or other dyes. The product is non-GMO and all natural so your dog or cat can safely consume this treatment and enjoy its long-lasting effects.
4. K2xLabs Max Potency Buster's Organic Hemp Oil & Treats
- This supplement helps to sooth your pet and to chill out
- More secure for sure
- Works better
Plant Based Calming Supplement (1 Bag).
These treats come in either pork skin or chicken and sound an alarm if you have a dog. The noise helps to distract your pet and to keep his attention. It can also be used to stop destructive behavior. Therefore your cat does not get direct punishment for that behavior, which then provokes him to continue this action.
Wrong behavior can be an indicator of physical problems, therefore they become much easier to treat when you keep pets healthy.
5. Solliquin Behavior Supplement
- Easy to use, need to dissolve in your cat’s mouth
- Calming effect is noticeable after just a few days
- Smell unpleasant for human
- Needs to be dissolved in mouth
If your cat shows signs of stress or has aggressive tendencies, this could be a remedy.
The calming effects of the supplement become apparent in a few days and cat owners often sing praises of how their often clawed up furniture stayed claw free with using it.
The supplement for cats and dogs works well and is easy enough to use. Just like with humans, cats go crazy for fruit flavors, and this product is in a tasty cherry flavor. The ingredients are purposefully selected to maximize their calming effects for cats.
6. Nutri-Vet Multi-Vite Paw-Gel
- Easy to administer
- No unwanted side effects
- Helps reduce problems related to inflammation
- Tastes nice and will quickly become one of your kitty’s favorites
- Made of completely natural ingredients
- No big results
- Not administered every day
- Your cat will quickly get used to it
I found out about this product from Amazon, and after I read some reviews, I decided to give it a try.
I was surprised by how fast it worked! Within less than 15 minutes my cat stopped his incessant scratching and biting, and he pretty much asleep the whole day.
It was very easy to administer. All I had to do was to mix it in his wet food and he ate it without any problems.
7. Howlite Hemp Oil
- High quality material, durable and safe for pets
- Prevents anxiety and stress
- Natural remedy for cats and dogs
- Helps to relax, reduce stress, and fall asleep peacefully
- No negative reviews
- Howlbone Natural Hemp Toys for Dogs and Cats! Dog Chew Toys, Cat Supplies, Pet Chew Toys, Pet Anxiety Reliever Toys For Dogs, Pet Anti Anxiety Toys for Cats, Dog Toys, Cat Toys – Dog Chew Toys
Melatonin, 400 Softgels – Pet Supplies.
8. Vet Classics Stress Away Calming
- The active ingredients are all natural and will not harm animals
- It’s easy to administer the product
- The stress away treats are grain free
- A bit expensive for the average pet owner
- The taste needs to be improved
L-Theanine, Valerian Root Extract, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Eleuterococcus Bilberry, and Dandelion Root.
Have your furry friends stress levels been going up as of late? If so, we may have a solution for you! Vet Classics Stress Away Calming, Anxiety Aid for Dogs and Cats is known to be one of the best pet calming treats and chews out there, and it is very popular with Betta fish owners.
Passion Flower, Chamomile, and Valerian are all great herbs that are calming to both pets and people, and this product has all three of them. This is not a sedative, so it will not make your pet drowsy.
9. Only Natural Pet Calming Hemp Soft Chews
- Soft chews are more palatable for some cats than hard chews
- These natural stress-relievers are free of artificial ingredients and chemical preservatives
- Unique formula utilize natural stress relievers including tryptophan
- These soft chews utilize a unique blend of essential oils to calm your nerves and reduce anxiety
- Pet owners who prefer a complete diet don’t use these as a complete meal replacement
- Wording on the package makes the product look like a sedative which is the opposite of what it is
These health benefits are complemented by the added essential oils of orange, lavender, and lemongrass that also support a healthier mood.
These soft chews are perfect for all types of cats and dogs. You can use them to help cats cope with feline hyperesthesia syndrome. Hyperesthesia syndrome is a disorder in which cats that receive sudden stimuli develop excessive scratching and biting.
These soft chews are an all year treat for your feline friends. However, you can only give them to them when you want to treat them to a special treat as they are not a complete meal replacement when used by themselves.
10. Paws & Pals Dog Calming Treats: Pet Anti Anxiety Supplement
However, pet owners should know that this product is not fast acting since it takes from days to even months before they see the actual effect. But they should not be worried about that because Petcalm is a long lasting solution.
This calming supplement is also available in liquid form.
According to the manufacturer, pets are more likely to respond well if they have been fed Petcalm for about 2 weeks prior to training.
11. Well & Good Calming Soft Chew
- * Joint Health * Great Value * Entirely Natural Ingredients
Calming Soft Chews have been especially formulated to provide your pet the comfort she needs during stressful situations. They contain a blend of herbs that are traditionally used to relax the mind and ease the nervous system.
They are also natural, free of artificial colors and flavors and contain no wheat, corn, soy, animal by products, dairy products, salt or sugar. It’s great for finicky eaters, and senior pets.
The treats are dedicated to helping your cat get over changes in the household, such as guests arriving and leaving, and a new pet are welcome changes to any household.
12. VetriScience Laboratories Composure
- Recommended by veterinarians & pharmacists
- All-natural ingredients
- In-house manufacturing
- User reviews have been overwhelmingly positive (over 4.2/5 stars)
- Sized for cats
- Works well with multiple cats in one household
- Improves cat's mood
Whether you need something to help your cats with anxiety, for their skin, or for their overall digestive health, VetriScience is working hard to give your cats the best nutrients available.
With Composure, you address one of the big reasons cats scratch or bite – boredom. If you have 1 or more cats, these chews will help them with their moods. Cats often scratch their human's belongings or even their own ears when they are anxious or stressed out. Whether it is anxiety caused by a new baby, a family vacation, or the loss of a family member, Composure helps turn your pets' mood around.
These chews slow the chewing process, which decreases anxiety and stress, combats boredom, and as a pet parent, you will like that your cat is not tearing up the furniture since they are using their claws for chewing these chews instead of other stuff. They are also great for your cat who suffers de-clawed syndrome.
13. Richard’s Organics Pet Calm
- 100% organic, drug-free, natural pet treat and chew
- It helps to settle down animals as a result of nervousness, anxiety, stress, and hyperactivity
- Soft and chewable so that pets can eat with comfort
- 3-pack bags are for 3 sizes (5 oz, 10 oz, and 15 oz), so they can get a treat that fits their size
Soft, Chewable Treats – Pets Love Them!
With Organic Pet Calming Paws, you’ll be able to give your pet the relief that they are looking for. These treats are soft and chewable, which means they can be enjoyed with comfort.
The great thing is that these treats help not only with hyperactivity but also with anger and confusion. While some pets may take different types of treats, every pet should be able to appreciate the flavor of this natural treat.
14. Licks – Zen Cat Calming
- No ingredient that could harm your cat
- Servings last 30 days
- If you're willing to try a liquid treat, this is your best choice
- You can start to see results in as little as 3 days
- An odorless, gentle laxative for cats with anxiety
- It's not much fun administering a liquid treat every day
- There's no knowing how long the effectiveness will last
- They are not approved by the FDA
- It's expensive relative to other liquid treats
Zen cat calming treats are made with only one ingredient, a proprietary digestive enzyme derived from plants. The enzyme works as a natural calming aid that soothes your cat's digestive tract and helps to eliminate excess stomach acid and other environmental stressors.
15. MOKAI Hemp Calming Treats
- If your goal is to get your dog to calm down and relax, MOKAI Hemp Calming Treats are a better choice than other anxiety remedies on the market, including natural ones.
- These easy-to-eat treats are all natural, just made from USDA certified organic hemp seed and no artificial ingredients.
- They're formulated and produced in the USA by passionate pet owners, people who genuinely care about pets and their wellbeing in every possible situation and condition.
- No chemicals, no preservatives, no additives, no artificial colors or flavors, no fish or byproducts.
- MOKAI treats are containing a combination of things that were carefully chosen and proven to work: L-Tryptophan- melatonin, Taurine, and other amino acids that are a part of the Body Foundation of dogs and cats.
L-Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that can't be produced by animals, so they must be supplied in pet food. L-Tryptophan is a precursor for serotonin, a neurotransmitter that regulates mood, sleep and appetite.
Melatonin is a hormone that is produced when animals are exposed to darkness.
We recommend that you use these treats as a training aid, not as a replacement for regular meal. Because they're a training aid, not a replacement for a meal, the treats are perfect for Thunderstorm kit.
16. NaturVet –Quiet Moments Calming Aid
Each order comes with 60 soft chews that mix DHA omega-3 fatty acids, L-theanine amino acid, and melatonin all in one chew. This product is veterinarian-formulated and tests well in reducing stress for your time.
17. NaturVet – Hemp Quiet Moments Calming Aid
- These ‘cat valium’ like chews can help calm cats down before a storm, fireworks, bath, grooming, etc
- It does not put your cat to sleep but did seem to help reduce anxiety and helped with my cat's separation anxiety
- These treats are made in the USA you can feel good giving them to your cat
- Price is a little high
- They smell like marijuana so if you don’t want to worry about your neighbors finding out you have a stash of cat treats you might want to consider.
I adopted a 2-year-old cat about 6 months ago. I have not had her very long. She was from a shelter and I believe she was outdoors or living with aggressive dogs before then. She seemed to be doing very well, although she would growl at me sometimes.
She also growled at my other cat and would hiss at her and bite her. She would not run and hide or act like she was scared and I read that this is not typical of a cat that has been treated well. She was obviously getting frustrated or wanted something that my other cat had.
18. ThunderWunders Cat Calming Paw Gel
- Brings cat stress levels down
- Easy to apply
- Helps to increase your cat’s happiness
- Discrete enough that you can apply it without your cat knowing, even on your own
There are plenty of natural products out there to help soothe your cat and help to lower their fur raising anxiety.
The Thunderwunder Cat Calming Paw Gel is definitely one of my top choices. It uses capsaicin from chillies to relax your cat.
This paw gel will help to lower your cats stress levels, so therefore you will find that it is more prone to being more calm and relaxed. It will also help with giving you more kittens.
19. Hemp Oil
20. Pet Naturals of Vermont
- You can use the product every day without worries of it getting used more than it should
- This safe alternative can be used in place of sedative or tranquilizers
- Easy to use, simply give it out to your pet on a routine basis
- Helps control anxiety and stress-related behavior which is great for handling crowded environments like dog parks, for example
The Pet Naturals of Vermont Calming Cat Chews contains a mix of ingredients such as L-Theanine, chamomile, and valerian root. Cats that have anxiety or are uncomfortable in their surroundings can be guided to a calmer state of mind with these chews.
For instance, these chews are a safe alternative to usage of sedative or tranquilizer drugs. As such, you can use them every day without having to worry that your pet will start to overuse them.
This product can take a few chews before it starts working, but it will help you control your cat’s behavior by curbing his/her anxiety and stress-related behavior.
21. Hemp Oil
- Available in small sizes
- All natural ingredients; easy on your pets stomach
Hemp Oil for Cats & Dogs made in the USA by Veterinarian Recommended Pet Supplies. All our products are made with natural ingredients and shipped directly from our on site processing lab in the USA to you.
Feline Calm is a calming and purr-fect solution to a stressed or hyperactive cat. These sensational treats contain Feline Calm, an all-natural, non-GMO, gluten free, soy, corn and wheat free puff that is the perfect treat for cats or dogs.
22. ThunderWunders Cat Calming Chews
- Well received by cats
- Easier to administer than some more natural remedies
ThunderWunders is a great option for people who want to try something new to help their cat deal with anxiety.
It contains natural ingredients, including catnip, which has been shown to help some cats.
I also really appreciate that this is made in the USA and free of GMOs, colors, flavors, and fillers.
23. Rescue Remedy Natural Homeopathic Stress Relief Drops
- These give a deep psychological relief to pets
- Helps pets relax during changes and relives stress
- Contains natural ingredients and safe to use
- Giving drops directly on the tongue may mix with the saliva of the pet
- Works slowly – 2-3 drops over the venue of the day for a period of time.
Are you the owner of a hyper dog or cat, or one that is scared by loud noises and surroundings? These pet calming pills are exactly what you need to calm your pets down.
Rescue Remedy is available over-the-counter for people who are nervous and have frequent episodes of panic attacks. Countless number of pets has been saved from being euthanized at shelters because of this remedy.
It is a natural herbal remedy that can be purchased in any pet store or online. It is made from all natural ingredients from the flower bud of an English Marigold.
24. Vet Worthy Calming Paw Gel Aid
- Is made with all natural ingredients
- Comes in a stylish glass bottle that makes dispensing easy
- All-natural ingredients are safe for cats of all breeds, ages, and sizes
- Even works on most hyper dogs
- Small 4 oz. size
- A little pricey
This gel is made for pets that suffer from minor anxieties, such as those that are caused by loud noises and frequent guests. Works for dogs and cats alike.
This is another all-natural, homeopathic pet remedy that is effective at soothing your pet during a nervous moment. Vet Worthy claims that this product will soothe cats within minutes!
This product also comes in a glass container, making it easier to get just the right amount.
25. Therabis Calm & Quiet Soft Chews
- Made with natural ingredients
- Safe, effective, and easy to administer
- Each chew lasts up to an hour
- In a tasty chicken liver flavor!
- A number of reviewers have reported that this product significantly improved their cat's behavior, making it easy for them to travel with their cat and helping them overcome their cat's anxiety-based behavior problems
- According to reviewers on Amazon, this product may lead to noticeable improvement in both mental and psychological symptoms related to stress in as little as one or two days!
- Only suitable for cats 2 years old and over
- Results may vary
As a cat owner, you want only the best for your fur-baby. And one of the best things that you could do to make them happy and healthy is to help relieve their stress and anxiety.
But if your cat suffers from behavioral problems, you may have found that other products claiming to help relieve stress have failed to make much of an impact.
Now, however, you may be interested in this fantastic product. This product is cat calming food which comes in chewable, liver flavored tablets that are designed to reduce the stress and anxiety of your pet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do calming chews work for cats?
There is no magic formula that can calm a cat. Since you can't feed your cat Valium or give her some whiskey, you should consider using a calming chew!
If you're wondering if calming chews work for your cat, the answer is most definitely yes! Calming chews can certainly help to calm an anxious cat.
Most cats will become less anxious, stop meowing, and have a general better attitude.
This also works great for cats that like to scratch furniture or claw their owner. As the cat's behavior improves, the stress will be transferred to scratching and clawing on the chew toy instead.
What is the best product to calm cats?
Fortunately, there are some simple solutions you can try at home. Start by keeping your cat indoors where he can feel more safe and secure. It can also give you peace of mind to know that your cat won't get lost or run away.
Also, keep in mind that cats communicate primarily through their ears. They use their ears to listen for and interpret various sounds that might be in their environment. So, if your cat seems stressed or anxious, listen for loud outside noises. If he's freaking out at night, then consider what might have happened during the day to spook him.
This is why cat calming treatments can be helpful. It encourages a feeling of security and privacy, which can help your cat feel more at ease in his environment.
What scents are calming to cats?
For Felines, calming and relaxing aromas are usually different than for people. Cats are naturally attracted to citrus and soft floral smells. But there are other possibilities. To identify your cat’s favorite scent, watch and observe. If you see your cat gravitating toward a certain area in your home, like a chair in the living room, you can create your own “cat pillow” and see how they react. Mix equal parts of catnip and lavender and stuff it into a throw pillow. For some cats they might just be drawn to the catnip; others might like to play with and lay on the pillow; and for some cats they may react to the lavender. So, experiment and see which aromas help calm your cat.
Can cats help calm anxiety?
In fact, yes they can. According to many studies, a cat’s purr can help increase oxytocin levels. These are the levels that help with calmness and relaxation, which are hallmarks for happiness.
Explore these calming treats and chews to find what works best for your cat.
Cat calming treats and chews are probably some of the most sought for items on the market.
You might be wondering why, but what would you say if we told you that they can act as a cure for your cat if it’s stress related?
Yes you read it right. Anxiety in your cat is usually caused by it being an indoor cat, which is why we have created this article as a thorough and complete place to learn about what cat calming treats and chews are, what they have that helps with calming, and how to make them so that your cat can get back to normal.
|Ark Naturals Happy Traveler||Best Overall|
|Nutri-Vet Multi-Vite Paw-Gel||Budget Pick|
|VetriScience Composure Pro Bite Size Chews||Upgrade Pick|