Dental cleanliness is one of the most fundamental components of a cat’s health. Many cats don’t get regular teeth cleanings at the vet, so they can easily get tartar and plaque build-up. This can lead to painful gum disease and in a worst case scenario, dental issues that require amputation of the jaw.
This is something you definitely want to avoid, so it is up to you to provide dental care for your cats. While there are many great cat dental treats on the market, these are the best ones I found.
|Temptations Classic Crunchy and Soft Cat Treats||Best Overall|
|Minties Dental Cat Treats 2.5 oz||Budget Pick|
|Purina Whisker Lickin's Crunchy & Yummy Tuna Flavor Cat Treats||Upgrade Pick|
1. Temptations Classic Crunchy and Soft Cat Treats
- All natural
- Very affordable
- Helps with tartar and plaque
- Available at 30 ounces
- Tastes great and can help improve your cats dental hygiene
- Not organic
- Can not be purchased in bulk
- Some users have noted their cats not enjoying the taste
Temptations is a leading brand of cat treats. They come in many different flavors, which many people like just to change it up.
Temptations treats are available in 30 and 35 ounces. The treats are crunchy and soft, with a little crunchier texture than some other brands. Many users find the texture to be the perfect combination of taste and dental help for their cat.
As with all treats, the key is moderation. You don’t want to spoil your cat, you just want to improve their dental health over time.
2. FELINE GREENIES Natural Dental Care Cat Treats
- Brilliant for keeping teeth and gums healthy
- Catnip Flavored
- Hollow to aid dental hygiene
If you have a cat with dental issues you already know the trouble of brushing and flossing. You are aware that the gums are sensitive and you worry about causing pain to your cat.
Greenies are a healthy option to give your cat as they remain chewy. This means that they are soothing on teeth and gums, and also that they don’t splinter or fall apart. The treat is also catnip flavored so your cat will love it for this reason as well.
3. Purina Whisker Lickin's Crunchy & Yummy Tuna Flavor Cat Treats
- Tasty and crunchy cat treats
- Tuna flavor appeals to cats
- Keeps teeth clean
- High in protein
Purina Whisker Lickin’s Crunchy & Yummy Tuna Treats come in small, crunchy pieces that cats go mad for.
Human-grade, tasty cat treats full of protein! They have a crunchy texture for some cats that is lacking in some dried treats. So the cat can enjoy the fish flavor which it is accustomed to.
These cat treats are also good for getting rid of excess tartar and plaque.
4. TEMPTATIONS Jumbo Stuff Crunchy and Soft Cat Treats
- Your cat will absolutely love the taste of the crunchy and soft variant
- Cats that hate having their teeth brushed will enjoy this treat because the taste is irresistible
- Varieties available ensure that there is a treat to keep your cat occupied for hours
- The crunchy treats are great for keeping your cat occupied while you’re away
- The price is very reasonable for a cat treat
- Be aware that the soft treats can be difficult to break into pieces, so it can be a little messy if cats start to try and eat it
- Cats seem to love the crunchy version of the treat, so it can get hard to keep enough stocked up especially if the treats are in high demand
The Temptations Jumbo Stuff Crunchy Cat Treats are made from natural cat-nip and irresistible flavor. They have the texture of a crunchy treat with a corn filling, so your cat will love the great taste. Available in a convenient 14-ounce tub, Temptations Crunchy Treats are a great value.
5. Wellness Kittles Crunchy Natural Grain Free Cat Treats
- Grain Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free
- Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- Good alternative for cats with multiple food allergies
- Great for the dental care of your Betta fish
Wellness Kittles natural treats are made from whole roasted poultry and organ meats, with added whole dried egg and natural flavorings.
They are high in protein and packed with vitamins.
These are great for your cat’s teeth, a little crunchy and they will give your Betta fish a good reason to keep its mouth open.
6. Temptations Cat Treats Variety Packs
- Available in a variety of tasty flavors
- Cruelty Free
This unique mix of crunchy kibble shapes and yummy chicken tastes is low in calories (3 calories per treat) and rich in chicken flavor.
Available in a variety of flavors such as seafood, chicken, salmon, filet mignon and turkey.
They are soft enough to lessen risk of tooth fracture. These products do not need to be refrigerated, which saves you space and energy!
7. Emerald Pet Dental Crunchy Natural Grain Free Cat Treats
- Multiple sizes
- Soft texture that is easy for cats to chew
- No harmful additives or chemicals
- Small kibbles are easier for the cat’s digestive system than large granules
- Grain and gluten free
Emerald Pet Dental Crunchy Natural Grain Free Cat Treats are made with catnip and natural dehydrated poultry bone meal. They repel fleas, and they also help clean your cat’s teeth.
The protein in these cat treats is very high, and this high protein content helps maintain strong and healthy teeth and bones. The crunchy texture of these little treats make them easy to digest; they don’t upset your cat’s stomach.
The catnip in the treats also keeps pests away, including flea-infesting pests. Your cat will not have skin irritations after eating these treats. These cat treats are made by Emerald Pet, and they are treated oh so gently with natural ingredients. They are not processed; they are dehydrated.
8. Wysong Dentatreat Canine/Feline
- Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand
- Good size for Betta fish
- The ingredients are mainly plant based
If you are looking for a dental treatment that will treat your Betta’s teeth and improve their overall health then the Wysong Dentatreat might be a good way to go. Each is piece is small enough for a Betta fish to consume without any difficulty.
The unique formula is derived from fruits, vegetables and grains with antimicrobial and enzyme activity. The natural ingredients encourage healthy digestion and the products that you may not want your fish to consume is kept at the top by the handy pea-nut shape.
9. WholeHearted Smart Smiles Salmon Flavor Cat Dental Treats
- Fish Flavor is extremely palatable; ideal for cats that are picky about their food
- The ratio of crunchy, soft and treat pieces help reduce tartar build up
- The dental treats are completely oral-safe and odour-free; won’t aggravate kitty’s sensitive stomach
- Comes in a resealable bag
- Some users report an allergic reaction
- Some cats don’t like the fishy flavor
These cat dental treats were the most popular reviewed with more than 2020 reviews on Amazon as of March 2016. 86 % of users gave the treats a 5 star rating.
These fish shaped cat dental treats are ideal for cats and kittens that are very fussy or allergic to other types of treats.
Cats love the taste, and the crunchiness of the treats helps to scrape off tartar when your pet chews.
10. Hartz Dentist'S Best Chicken Flavored Dental Cat Treats
These delicious treats will encourage your cat to chew with greater frequency. They will also promote cleaner teeth and a fresher breath.
Kitten-approved, these Hartz Dentist'S Best treats were created to fight tartar and promote healthy teeth & gums in adult cats or kittens over 12 weeks.
They are highly palatable – even by the pickiest of picky cats – and will certainly love the natural chicken flavor.
11. abobo Catnip Toys Balls Bells Silver Vine + Catnip Sticks/Matatabi
- Made with healthy, safe and natural ingredients
- Contains catnip to keep your cat active and engaged
- Perfect for playing and for oral health
- Keeps your cat stimulated and mentally fit
Moose (2 Pcs).
Your cat will surely love the new toy you have bought him/her! Your cat will be able to have fun (and keep clean at the same time!) better than ever before with these fun catnip toys!
Cats love to play and things that they can bat and throw around are always great. Catnip is delicious to cats and it is also great for their mental and oral health. So, this combination is the perfect way to keep your cat actively engaged and mentally fit!
12. FELINE GREENIES Natural Dental Care Cat Treats
- Great for cleaning your cats teeth
- Made in the USA with Chicken as the only ingredient
- Highly rated
13. Minties Dental Cat Treats 2.5 oz
- Best Betta food for their teeth
- Approved by The Association of Aquatic Veterinarians
- High-quality and affordable
This product has a refreshing taste of peppermint for your cat that will not just satisfy their hunger but also stimulate their appetite.
The product is rich in calcium to maintain the cats’ health and prevent problems like plaque and tartar build-up.
14. Purina DentaLife Adult Cat Treats
- Healthy treat for your cat
- Helps with cleaning your cat’s teeth
- Easy to hold
- Need to watch how much your cat is eating. If the treat is eaten too quickly can cause your cat to choke
DentaLife is recommended by vets. 30% less fat than Oral Care treats. Helps fight plaque and tartar. Healthy teeth and gums for your cat. It’s beefy taste helps to control plaque and tartar so your cat’s teeth stay clean.
15. WoLover Natural Silvervine Sticks
- Cheapest price for highest quality
- Natural chewing toy
I personally use this product and know for a fact that it keeps my Betta happy and healthy.
One thing all pet owners will know is that pets love to chew on stuff. Most of them will be alright with an old sock, however, some pets will need specifically engineered toys for cats.
The WoLover Natural Silvervine Sticks is an awesome cat toy in the design of a stick that cats can chew and play with. One of the great things about this toy is that it comes with catnip, so it can fool your cat into thinking it’s a treat while encouraging them to get lots of exercise, which is great for your cat’s health.
16. VetriScience Laboratories
- These tasty treats help maintain healthy gums and teeth
- Helps keep teeth clean
- Deshedding aid to get rid of excess hair
- A nutritional supplement that is easier to use than brushing
- No more licking and chewing
- Gentle but powerful formula
- Includes Sweet Potato, a starch that forms a dental plaque, and Oil of Oregano.
- Four pieces in every ounce of formula.
- May need to be mixed with breast milk or water to help him/her swallow the pills.
- Your kitten must be over 6 months old before you begin giving them these tablets
- Remember, you should never pull out mats by hand. See a professional. A deshedding tool will be your best friend when it comes to getting rid of mats.
- Remember: Cats can get pancreatitis from eating fish.
17. Catnip Sticks 40 PCS Organic Cat Catnip Snacks Natural Plant Matatabi Silver Vine Chew Sticks Cat Teeth Cleaning Chew
- Chewing on it can help combat plaque
- Keeps cats healthy and happy
- Rewards your cat for being a good pet
- Free of chemicals, additives, and other harmful ingredients
- They are also smell-free
Catnip Sticks natural catnip sticks keep your kitty squeaking with happiness and their teeth healthy.
The nip sticks are made with high-quality cotton and contain real organic catnip.
Your kitty will love chewing on these sticks, but that’s not all. The catnip will help curb their natural desire to bite and chew. You have no idea how thankful your furniture will be for these sticks.
18. Meow Mix Brushing Bites Dental Cat Treats
Most oral hygiene products are designed for, well, people – but not the Meow Mix Brushing Bites dental treats.
This is a chicken-flavoured dental chew that's specifically designed for cats, and you can order it online and have it delivered to your door.
One of the most common health problems in cats is dental disease. These products are made to help prevent tooth decay, and use a unique combination of ingredients to do the job – helping to clean your cat's teeth while also freshening their breath.
19. In Clover Smile Daily Dental Health Soft Chews
- Cats love them
- Vet recommended dental chews for cats
- Can get costly
- Cats don’t like the taste of them when they first start taking them, but after a few chews they learn to enjoy them
20. SunGrow Catnip Sticks
- Safe for cats of all ages including cats that are elderly
- Features a proprietary blend of catnip to keep them coming back for more
- Doesn’t contain any artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, or preservatives
- Sourced from natural, FDA-approved herbs
Here we have a product positioning itself as a solution for cats looking to improve their dental health. Not all cat owners think that catnip edibles are a good choice for their cats. Some think they are too strong, which is why they prefer other products such as mint.
These catnip sticks from SunGrown are great for encouraging your cat to brush after meals. The catnip is phytonutrient-rich and contains essential oils. Cats are not likely to have an adverse reaction to catnip, other than going crazy after smelling it.
Most cats will love these flavored cat nip sticks. They are quite clean and easy to use, although some cats are picky. The herbal formula is designed to activate when it comes into contact with the tongue. Unfortunately, this formula may not be large enough for some cats.
21. N-Bone Cat Chew Treats
- Long lasting healthy treat
- Fights plaque and tartar buildup
The N-Bone Cat Chew Treats are made especially for cats. Your cat will love the fact that it is a treat that can help keep its teeth clean and healthy.
The product comes with the following advantages:
The N-Bone Cat Chew Treats are available in a number of sizes and come in a variety of types. To buy the treats, you don’t need to ask a vet as you can readily get them in many pet stores. One of the reasons why these treats are so popular is because they are made to develop and maintain healthy teeth and gums.
22. NAZVA Pets Supplies Silvervine Matatabi Sticks
- All natural material
- Can help clean teeth and freshen breath
- Available in different quantities and sizes
The matatabi chew is a thick, supple, and long toy that has been dyed green. The chews are quite firm and can take your kitten a while to chew through. They are very strong and should withstand years of chewing.
There are 2 ways to use this cat chew to improve kitty’s teeth. You can give your cat the matatabi wedge to chew on when he or she is not eating or playing.
Or you can use the matatabi chew to brush your cat’s teeth. The matatabi leaves have a natural anesthetizing property. Bits of the leaves can be stuck on the side of a broom handle and used to brush your cat’s teeth.
23. Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews
- The unique texture of these treats makes it irresistible to felines
- You will be happy to know that these treats are designed with your cat’s oral hygiene in mind
Chewy treats designed to improve your cat’s dental health is a great idea (as you know how important dental care is for cats). But not all products are created equal. This is one of the top rated products that I have found.
This product comes in various sizes so you can get the best value for your pet. A small bag might be enough, but if you buy the large bag you will get a better value for your money. It is a chewy consistency and your cat will love to chew on these treats (plus it is good for your cat’s teeth). The package of this product says it is not intended for dogs.
This product is meant to be given to your cat to wash down his or her food. You can get it in a variety of sizes. Once again, if you buy the larger package you will get a better value for your money.
24. Matatabi Cat Catnip Sticks 12pcs Cat Chew Sticks Dental Cleaning
- These cat chews are great for keeping kitty teeth clean
- The catnip smell attracts your cat to the treat
- Provides kitty with a stimulating texture to keep her happy and healthy
- The organic silver vine content improves your cat’s dental health
- Soft texture that’s easy to chew
- Not to be used when pregnant, so consult with your vet
- May be too small for a very large cat
If you own a cat then you know just how important it is to promote oral hygiene. Hairballs, stained fur, and bad breath are all consequences of dirty teeth.
The best way to keep your cat’s teeth clean is to provide them with regular opportunities to chew on toys that are designed to clean kitty teeth, such as this catnip stick. They can also be used as a preventative measure if you feel like your cat needs them.
What definitely makes this product stand out, too, is the fact that it’s a made of organic silver vine that naturally improves your kitty’s dental health. Silver vine is great for stimulating the senses and naturally drawing out any anxiety. It’s also great for building stress-relieving mental focus and an overall calm response to stress.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dental treats for cats?
Dental treats are designed specifically for a cat’s sensitive teeth. These treats are meant to help reduce tartar buildup and keep teeth clean, alleviate the pain of inflamed gums, and freshen breath. Not to mention the fact that these treats address problems that are common to our feline friends, but are less common with dogs.
Because cats are carnivores, dental care is important to their overall health. Poor dental health can lead to heart problems, diabetes, and liver disease if left untreated.
Any pet owner who is dedicated to ensuring their cat leads a long, healthy life would be wise to familiarize themselves with the factors that contribute to dental decay. Over 50% of cats over the age of 3 experience dental decay, versus only 13% of dogs. Cats are predisposed to dental decay as a result of the following:
Sharp, pointy teeth with no flat surfaces to act as shields or chewing tools.
Do Cat Dental Treats really work?
While there is still debate about whether or not cat dental treats are effective, over the long-term, most experts agree that they can help keep your cat's teeth and gums healthy.
The real question is this: why wouldn't you want to protect your cat's teeth and gums from tartar and tooth decay?
Cat's teeth are smaller in general, and cats tend to get little cavities because they don't drink as much water as people do. Also, since their tongues aren't as wet as ours, they may just not care about stuff accumulating in their mouths, like plaque, tartar, food particles, and general grime.
Which cat treats are healthiest?
When considering which ones are the best, first look at ingredients. Many treats include unpronounceable chemicals as a main ingredient, which aren’t exactly great for your cat's health. Another important factor, of course, is the type and quality of ingredients. You should ideally aim for organic and non-GMO treat ingredients. That being said, it’s certainly possible to find treats with low quality ingredients and none of them are going to be a great fit for your cat if they’re allergic to one or more ingredients.
How can I improve my cat's dental health?
While we all want a dental plan from our cat's oral hygiene service, we just can't get one. So what's a feline owner to do?
Instead of waiting for your cat to develop problems, it's far better to provide for your cat's dental health and keep those dental bills down. But how?
While it's a good idea to brush and floss your cat's teeth, it's not always possible. So we've produced a list with the best cat dental treats to help in that quest.
In terms of minimally invasive oral care for cats, an often neglected area of the mouth is the roof of the mouth. It's particularly critical for cats, because it's home to large and vulnerable lymph nodes. So it's worth deciding if your treat includes ingredients that help reduce oral bacteria on this area of the mouth.
Does your cat need its teeth cleaned? Are you considering supplementing your cat’s dental care with a cat dental treat? If so, there are many different types of dental care treats on the market.
We hope that after reviewing this guide, you have a better idea of which cat dental treats to get for your cat. After all, your kitty will thank you.
|Temptations Classic Crunchy and Soft Cat Treats||Best Overall|
|Minties Dental Cat Treats 2.5 oz||Budget Pick|
|Purina Whisker Lickin's Crunchy & Yummy Tuna Flavor Cat Treats||Upgrade Pick|