There are many different cat doors and free-roaming cat flap brands available. It can be difficult to know which are the best cat doors (and cat flaps) for your home and cat.
I've looked into it quite a bit and I will share with you some suggestions that will make your cat happy.
Here are the best recirculated cat flap options available today.
|The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door Hidden Litter Box Pet Door||Best Overall|
|lucky treyvon Large Cat Door||Budget Pick|
|PetSafe Wall Entry Plastic Pet Door||Upgrade Pick|
1. The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door Hidden Litter Box Pet Door
- Comes with a free litter box
- Cat friendly features include the fluorescence of the flap, an odour absorbing carbon filter, a sound box and a magnetic button
- Low energy consumption
- Pets up to 5 kg (21 lb.) can use the cat door
- Made of long lasting, environmental friendly plastic
- It installs easily and no tools are required
- You can control the opening size
- It is not suitable for dogs
- The opening size cannot be changed once it has been set
The Kitty Pass interior cat door is a new innovation which allows you to hide the litter box inside a door and close it when the cat is away. In this way the litter box is not cluttering up the room anymore and you no longer have to pay for it.
The cat pass cat door has already won several awards including the innovative prestigious RedDot Design Award 2010 and the Award of Excellence from the 2009 International Design Enhancement Award.
The Kitty Pass cat door comes with a litter box which can be hidden inside a wardrobe, cupboard or any other door. The cat litter box can either be hung on the inside of the door or placed on the floor as the flap is large enough to fit even a cat tray which is 28.5 cm.
2. The Cat Cave Interior cat Door
Turn any door into a pet door in a matter of minutes with the Cat Cave.
The Cat Cave is extremely easy to install.
Just mount your door, slip on the flange and secure it with the two included screws.
3. Cat Door Built In Interior Pet Door
- This thing works for most cats
- Good quality
- Requires external power for the motor, they do offer a battery pack option
- The flap doesn’t have a magnet or the bottom piece doesn’t have a magnet, so you can’t just close the door
This is the best cat door if your pet is around 5 lbs.
It has a double flap, which is better and warmer than the single flap.
It’s not an electrical cat door, it has an external motor, so you would need a battery pack, which is also sold on the website.
4. Ownpets Screen Cat Door,Pet Screen DoorInside Door 8x10x0.4 Inch
- Safety Lock
- Can be hard to install
- Size is smaller than some competitors
Best Pet Door.
Doors and cat flaps have been around for some time now but there has been no improvement in technology that has really made them appealing to cat owners.
The OwnPet Screen Cat Door is a fairly new design in the world of cat flaps and is the outcome of dozens of alterations and improvements over older designs. This is the best cat door for cat owners who are tired of their pets making a mess on their floor and furniture from exiting the house through inappropriate doorways.
5. PetSafe Plastic Pet Door
- Works with your existing pet door or plastic flap
- Fits anywhere including single exterior doors and single and double interior doors
- Three flaps to choose from: Light-Tint, Black-out and Extra Dark Black-out
- Thermally insulated
- Flap is quiet
- The flaps have an ultra-rugged rubber construction
- Takes 5 minutes for installation
- What is nice is that the flap is safe, secure and narrow which will keep your pet from escaping but is also quite easy for them to walk through.
- PetSafe Plastic Pet Door for Dogs and Cats Pet Door for Dogs and Cats Up to 35 lbs.
- You need to have a pet door or plastic flap that is usable with this product.
- Rated 4.3 out of 5 stars with 7,247 Reviews
It is simple to install and has different sized flaps included with it. These flaps will completely cover your regular pet’s doors and are designed to stop drafts.
The PetSafe Door for pets consists of a plastic flap which is 6 inches tall by about 6 ½ inches wide and a thicker gasket which is 4 inches tall by about 6 ½ inches wide. All of these are installed onto a white plastic frame.
6. PAWSM Cat Door Removable Brush Grooms Kitty
- Cat door panel is easy to install with clear color instruction.
- Easily blends with any surface: smooth, wood or metal.
- An ideal gift for any cat owner who don't have a computer, handy tool.
- Electronic cat door can be mounted directly to the door without drilling any holes.
- Potential benefits for your cats who are poorly trained but still want to come in.
- Also designed for small breed and kitten.
- Takes patience to install.
- Quite expensive.
- You need to clean the mess created by cats in the litter box as soon as possible.
The PAWSM is a cat door that is non-toxic and reversible to fit both doors facing inside or outside. PAWSM lets your cat go in and out as they please but keeps dogs out. It's safe for your cat and easy to remove and replace.
7. Perfect Pet Soft Flap Cat Door
- Attaches to any regular cat door and keeps your cat in
- Fits in doors that are 27-32 inches
- Can be used for several cats
- Does not attach to the outside of the house
- Cats can either go through the flap or knock it down
This is a solid medium cat door with flap for smaller cats, at least 4 pounds or so. If you don’t have a cat door, you can attach it to the cat door.
This is a plastic flap and a rubber frame that is designed to fit into the cat door. It will fit into any cat flap that is up to 4”L by 6”W.
8. Cat Mate 4 Way Locking Cat Flap
- An Economic Option
- Economical Way to Keep Your Pets inside
This cat flap is one of the most cost-effective options on the market. You can provide an economic solution to keep your pets away from the outside world while still allowing them to come and go as they please. It features a variety of safety locking mechanisms to secure the latch and cover so you can rest easy knowing that nothing or no one can get into your home while you are away.
The two swinging cat doors are situated on either side of the flap. They are almost pre-sized for cats, which will likely be your main users. The flaps are hinged, which allows for a softer cat entry, ensuring a quieter use.
The flap closes automatically after your pet has come through, so leaving your pets inside is ideal to keep unwanted critters at bay. The stops are adjustable for different winder directions or to secure a completely closed door.
9. lucky treyvon Large Cat Door
- Comes with pre-cut cardboard templates for easy installation
- Over 25 reviews on Amazon with 4+ stars (Nov 2018)
- Available in two sizes: small or medium-large
- Not ideal for cats that might panic while using the flap
- Some small cats can’t fit through it
This passage door is designed by thoughtfully. It is a large but slim flap that slides up and over the bottom of the door in your home.
It comes with a “one size fits all” design which is made to work with pet doors inside or outside of your home.
It also features a clear channel which provides an unblocked view of the outdoors and is available with optional locking cap.
10. PetSafe Interior Cat Door
- Easy to install
- Great features
- The price
- His clawed paws may scratch the plastic occasionally
Using a cat flap is a great way for your cat to get outside when you are not home, and this product is a breeze to install and maintain. It’s also ideal for those long-haired cats that may be more prone to ruffled fur or quickly getting dirty if they go outside in the rain.
This model has an adjustable width so it works well with most standard doors. The flap opens easily for small cats, but is also secure enough against larger cats with a locking paw-plate.
Heavier cats may tire of going through an opening in the door and prefer a flap on the outside of the door instead. Each of the three sizes (mini, regular, and large) of the flap in this set has an adjustable door panel as well as a weatherproof and insulated panel in the door.
11. Ideal Pet Products Aluminum Sash Window Pet Door
- Large enough for dogs and cats
- Works on sash windows from 33 to 38
- Simple to install
- You will need to purchase a mounting plate separately
- Must be mounted with screws on the outside as there is no frame on the inside to grip on to
The Ideal Pet Products aluminum Sash Window Cat Door is simple to install, allowing you to mount it from the outside of the window. This cat flap works on sash windows from 33 to 38.
The seal is made of a hard plastic that your cat should find comfortable to pass through, and the flap is sturdy enough to handle medium-sized dogs. If you have an unusually shaped window, this cat door should fit it.
12. Depets Large Cat Door
- Available in 2 sizes; 7.4" x 5.5" and 9.9" x 9.2"
- Designed for your cat to walk in and out through the flap with ease
- Can be installed on interior and exterior doors
- Was designed to fit almost any sized cat or dog
Mount, Easy to Use, Secure and Functional.
13. CEESC Cat Doors
- Most convenient for cats
- Keeps your home safe for un-de-clawed cats
- Works incredibly well for anyone that has had trouble using a cat door before
- Small and lightweight for easy installation
- Also useful for non-pets to keep air conditioning and dogs protected during the summer
- No replacement parts available
- Extremely small opening for dogs
- Need to replace the warranty-voiding magnetic strip
- This design doesn’t work for small dogs (anything under 20 lbs), if you need one for small dogs check out Whistle GPS Pet Tracker Bundle Compatible with Alexa, Treat Dispenser and More
The CEESC magnetic cat door is designed for cats and kittens and provides a 4-way locking mechanism which helps to deter dogs. Once your cat is comfortable with the door the locking mechanism can be closed so that your cats can roam freely.
The cat door also features an automatic locking system with an easy access door, perfect for cats that take their own sweet time.
14. SureFlap – Sure Petcare Microchip Cat Flap
- You can customize your cat’s access to any area of your home
- The flap’s curved frame ensures that kitty feels secure coming and going
- This device is weatherproof and requires a 24-hour recharging period (when unplugged) every 6 months
- More expensive than other models on the market
- The transmitter is powered by batteries so it’s not cordless
For 1-1/4" or 1-3/8" Frames.
When you want total control over your indoor feline, there is no better system in the industry than the SureFlap.
It uniquely identifies your cat by scanning their microchip.
15. Ideal Pet Products Cat Flap Door
- 4 way locking mechanism prevents unwanted access by outsiders
- Cat flap size 6.25” x 6.25” Flap
- Patented Lock-Down Feature
- Antibacterial vinyl flap
- Our cat flap was successful in keeping our dog from getting in, too.
- Only available in white
- Tends to get stuck if the height of the kitty is somehow wrong.The Ideal Pet Products Cat Flap with 4 Way Lock, White is a perfect solution for cat owners. This little gem is really worth the investment.
This screen door is easy to install and allows users to keep their door closed and their cat freely cavorting about the comfort of their own home. Running out the front door to see neighborhood friends is now something that is readily available to cats.
16. PetSafe Interior and Exterior Cat Door
- Sensors prevent cats from leaving until the flap is closed
- Large cats will fit through the door
- Not recommended for homes with small children
- This is for indoor use only
When you are looking for a door for your cat that allows them to come and go at will, you may want to consider the PetSafe cat flap.
This is one of the best-selling cat doors and with good reason. It allows the cat to come and go without tearing up the screen door or scratching the door. This is a good option for people who have concerns about predators and such…but the biggest concern with this door should be your cat!
The size of your cat should be considered before you purchase this door. It is designed to be used for large cats. It can be purchased with or without a microchip, but most people opt to go with the RFID chip. This is the same system used in most car door keys and is considered to be a safer way to protect your home.
17. PetSafe Wall Entry Plastic Pet Door
- Fits in standard door frames
- Completely clear
- Doesn’t have to be installed into the door
- Fits perfectly with PetSafe Pet Doors
- Very durable
- Cat’s don’t seem to be able to dissemble it
- Very easy to install for the average person
- Doesn’t fit in flush with all doors
- Leaves a large hole in your door, which is not good if you have kids or just want to be able to live with both the cat and a door
The PetSafe Wall Entry Plastic Pet Door is one of the big names in the pet door industry. It fits in any regular size door frame with ease.
It is completely clear and doesn’t have to be installed into the door. It doesn’t seem to be able to be disassembled by your cat, which makes it very durable. You can easily install this as a new pet door without having to bother a carpenter.
18. PetSafe Extreme Weather Door
- This product has been tested to 4x its normal weather rating
- A single door is very affordable
- A single door is perfect for a single cat
- This door does not come with mounting tape
- You must remove the flap for cleaning
- Make sure you check the size of the opening your cat needs before purchasing
( Best Cat Door For Extreme Weather)
The PetSafe Extreme Weather door is designed to use on most standard sized doors, including sliding glass doors. This innovative pet door flap is made of a thicker coiled aluminum.
This design makes it resistant to extreme weather, and the aluminum coil material has an added thermal barrier to keep heat in.
19. PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door
- A waterproof flap
- Easy to install
This door can either be used as a smaller dog door or a larger cat door since it is adjustable.
The door comes with a ribbed exterior weather flap that will protect the seal from wind and bad weather. It also includes a foam gasket to prevent drafts.
It can fit a 24 -inch by 32-inch opening, which is more than enough for a medium-sized dog or cat.
20. Cat Mate Microchip Cat Flap
- The Microchip is very reasonably priced
- The exclusive Cat Mate VIP for Doors flaps feature an auto-close function which turns the flap's front door handle into a concealed closing mechanism when the cat is outside
- The VIP for doors flap is a universal model
- It comes pre-programmed for all North American cat breeds
- The VIP for doors flap is very compact and can be affixed to any pet door opening measuring 4 inches by 8 inches.
- It is also extremely attractive looking
- We'll be running a comparison with Cat Mate's two other cat flaps offerings, the Microchip Pet Door and the Smart Flap ID
With any company, you can start off in the customer service end, and that’s where I start. Cat Mate holds a reputation for some of the best customer service in the industry. Usually, if you call in, you can send an email, but not always. The company seems to focus on making products that work well rather than depending on the internet for customer support.
Cat Mate also provides dealerships, and some of those are listed on their site. It would be nice to have the option of purchasing this item locally, but demographics are demographics.
21. LYNX Cat Door
- Designed for indoor and outdoor use
- Easy install
- Safety latch
The Lynx Pet Door has four locking points to keep the cat safe and secure. The door has an easy step-in design that your cat will get used to in no time. The flap measures 12.5 inches, giving extra-large pets easy access.
Installation is easy with our step-by-step instructions, and the door features a two-way locking system. To keep small or senior pets safe and secure, we recommend installing the door at a lower height, near floor level.
Even after your cat has mastered the steps to use it, the adjustable door flap will still keep them safe from the elements while allowing them to enjoy the freedom of entering and exiting whenever they choose.
22. PetsN'all Cat Door 4-Way Locking Pet Door Small Dogs Indoor/Outdoor
- You can put it into a wall or door
- Great for those with indoor cats
- It meets quality control standards
- Door is short
- It is not good for pets between 15-25 pounds
Designed, developed and manufactured in the USA, PetsN All Cat Flaps may be just the thing to let your cat come and go as it pleases. You can even latch it shut at night if you want to keep your cat in at all times.
The indicator window shows you whether the door is open or shut. Faster and easier than traditional flaps, cats can also get used to using this door in very little time.
It is ideal if you have an indoor cat, especially one that has very few opportunities to go out for a walk. Your pet can still have some space during the day without having to wait to go to the toilet when you have time for it. This door system can be set up pretty much anywhere. The instructions are simple and easy to follow. There is also a small hole in the panel that allows you to plug in the cat food feeder if you have one.
23. Ani Mate Cat Mate 4 Way Locking Cat Flap
- The Door liner on the Ani-Mate allows the flap to overlap your doorway, unlike other designs where the flap can only overlap the closed door and gapes open
- Very easy to install even if you don’t have much DIY experience
- The Door liner protects the flap from dirt and keeps your cat from scratching the flap
- Allows you to choose between a right and left opening
- Allows up to 3 cats to be registered to use the flap
- Has a lifetime guarantee
- Kitty might try to claw his way out when you close the looker
- The flap might not close completely after your cat has passed through, but if it bothers you, just tape it down
The door liner extends on both sides of the flap. This allows the flap to overlap a doorframe that is not centered
The registrations bands are not reusable and will not unlock the flap for another cat.
The interior panel of the flap gets damaged easily.
24. Cat Door
- The only cat door with a cleaning/grooming brush
- Removable durable metal flaps
- Simple to install and is adjustable
- It has an auto close
- Easily removable from door frame
- The sliding seal is adjustable to match the fur overgrowth of your cat
- The window allows your cat to look out of the house while doing his business
- Excellently designed
If you have an outdoor cat that likes to come in and out as he pleases, then the internal cat door could be the perfect match for your situation. It allows cats to come in and out, even when it's raining or snowing and keeps your home safe from strangers.
The optional door flap that is put in a hole of the door or drawer is easy and fast to install. Spare flaps are also easily available.
25. Cat Door
Cat Flap for Glass Doors. Very easy to install, installs in minutes, no tools required. When you can't open your door anymore, this is the answer. This is a semi-permanent installation.
Offset Pet Door. This is a high-quality offset pet door that is very popular among cat owners. It allows them to access your home independently and can help to keep them safe. This is a great pet door for your home!
Small Cat Door for Glass Doors. Cat Door – 2 inches x 6 inches. Made of lightweight flexible foam and is weather resistant. This vinyl replacement door temporarily patch up your pet's current door.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best type of cat flap to buy?
There are two main types of cat doors you'll want to consider: the insert-style flap and the doors mounted into the opening of a wall. Here are those pros and cons to keep in mind….
Insert-style flaps will fit in any door or wall almost universally so these are great to buy in an emergency or if you move frequently. However, simply inserting a cat flap isn't a permanent solution, since in most cases, you have to remove them to open the door or wall.
Door-mounted cat flaps can sometimes be integrated into your existing door or wall if its structure and knob placement don't already interfere with the flap's placement. While this is generally a less intrusive solution, it's more expensive and limited in door penetration to those spaces that aren't currently occupied by a door knob.
What is the best cat door?
Typically cat doors come in three basic forms: self-closing cat doors, external hinged doors, and internal hinged doors. Self-closing cat doors are designed for lots of use and are usually at least 3.5” high, made of clear plastic, and have two sets of magnets equipped.
These are ideal for pets like chihuahuas who are claustrophobic. The external hinged doors have a dual purpose — serving to let them in and out, and also letting you in and out of your house. This design is ideal for pet parents who have kids and elderly people in their house.
Do cat flaps weaken doors?
If you’re worried that the flaps could make your door overextend or weaken, you can rest easy. Cat flaps are installed either on the wall or the floor. Either way, there’s no way they can affect the strength of your door.
Are cat flaps a good idea?
While a cat flap seems like a great idea at the time, many regret installing them after seeing their adventurous cat spend more time outside than in. The veterinary bills may add up and lots of cats have been lost to predators looking to take advantage of the door.
If you still wish to install one anyway:
Consider installing the cat flap in an interior door too high off the ground for the cat to jump down from.
Or install it in a closet that the cat has access to from the inside.
In Asian countries like Japan, where cats have been around for a long time without extra protection, you'll find that they are a more varied breed than we see in North America. Some are fearless, but others are skittish and will easily jump at the idea of spending more time outside. For them, a cat flap can make a home more comfortable.
If you’re in the market for a cat door for your pet, don’t fret. This review of the top cat doors could help you narrow down your choices. Every kit has its own strengths and weaknesses, so we’ve laid out the ones with the most compelling and attractive features. We also discussed some of the things that you should know before buying a door for your pet. Based on our research, here are our picks for the best animal doors for cats.
|The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door Hidden Litter Box Pet Door||Best Overall|
|lucky treyvon Large Cat Door||Budget Pick|
|PetSafe Wall Entry Plastic Pet Door||Upgrade Pick|