Cats. They are beautiful, adorable, and can be one of the most rewarding pets in the world. Most of the time, cats are litter-trained and don’t require a lot of care to keep them happy and healthy. However, all animals need attention to stay happy. They require attention to make sure they get regular grooming to keep their fur clean and soft.
Cats have ears just like humans. Your cat’s ears have lots of hair inside them that can trap dirt, moisture and debris leading to infections in the delicate structure of the ear. So, make sure your cat’s ears stay clean by regularly cleaning them, and keeping an eye out to listen for any signs of infection.
Here are the best ear cleaners for cats and kittens in the year 2022.
|Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner||Best Overall|
|Hartz UltraGuard Ear Mite Treatment||Budget Pick|
|Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution||Upgrade Pick|
1. Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner
- Sure to remove painful ear wax from your cat’s ear
- Safe for kittens over 6 weeks old
- Best for cats with ear problems
This ear cleaner is also safe for cats with scratches or abrasions in their ear canals. If your cat has potential ear problems, but will allow you to look inside the ears, you can also go right ahead and use this product.
Overall, the Virbac company offers a range of products for cats of all ages and breeds.
2. Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution
- available for dogs and cats
- This is a really great product that works well
- This product is quite gentle on the pet's ears and it doesn't take much maintenance after using.
- I used this for my dog's ears, which were pretty bad, and after 6-8 weeks of use, unfortunately, my dog still has a few hot spots and the ear mite infestation has only improved slightly. Maybe this one wouldn't work on a severe case of mites, but I would consider this product again for the light to moderate cases where you just need to fight off the itchiness and add some hydrocortisone for sores that may develop.
- It has a very unpleasant odor and the bottle says to dab onto the ear canal, not put it into the ear of your pet.
Every pet owner wants their canine or feline to have healthy ears, and this product could do just that. It dries up any badness in the ears and helps heal the irritating scratching that your pet has been doing. Some pet owners have used this to relieve their dogs who are suffering from allergies, as this is an enzymatic solution. They say it really helps their pet.
3. Nutri-Vet Ear Cleanser
- Natural Solution
- Can Be Used For All Ages Of Felines
- Safe To Use
- Can Be Applied Directly To Your Cat’s Ear
- Or Applied To A Swab And Inserted Into The Ear
- Comes In A Size Pet Owners Are Familiar With
- Provides A Fragrance Felines Will Enjoy
- Easy To Use
- Can Be Approximated To Be Safe For Cats Of All Ages
- Can Be Better Made
- Has A Tendency To Dry Out Ear Tracts
- Gets Goopy Quickly
4. ZYMOX Pet King Brand Otic Pet Ear Treatment
This is my go to ear cleaner for cleaning my cats ears. I’ve been using it for over 2 years. It is reasonably priced and very effective. PetPlus is the retailer of the product.
This product is a great value when you consider the cost of cleaning a cat’s ears. This product is a good value with a good price and is reasonably priced.
5. Cliny Universal Ear Cleaner
- Removes earwax and gunk from inside your pet’s ears
- It comes in a large enough bottle for multiple treatments
- Safe, effective, and natural ingredients
- One reviewer claimed that this product produced negative results.
- The Cliny Dog and Cat Ear Cleaner is an all-in-one ear cleaner that can be used for dogs and cats to remove any excess earwax, and for also combating aquarium ear infection in pets.
It also helps to prevent odors forming in and around your pet’s ears. This product is suitable for dogs, cats, and even rabbits.
The Cliny Dog and Cat Ear Cleaner is a new and improved version of the original formula that was sold under the same name. The earlier version had a limitation of only treating ear infection and mite, whereas this new formula version has been enhanced to also treat yeast infections as well as improving on its odor relieving capacity.
The Cliny Ear Cleaner works by drawing out excess earwax, but it does not use harmful ingredients like iodine or alcohol, instead it contains only all-natural ingredients.
6. Curaseb Veterinary Cat & Dog Ear Infection Treatment
- You have the choice of using the pre-diluted bottle or making your own mixture
- Contains lauranteed pure colloidal silver (you can choose to use methylated or distilled water)
- The product is FDA approved
- Needs to be left in the ear for 10-15 minutes
- The smell is very strong. If you are not willing to get this product in your eyes then use gloves or wash your hands thoroughly after using it.
The Curaseb Vet Ear Liquid is an outstanding ear infection product that gets rid of the cause of the infection as well as the symptoms.
The product is 3X more effective than normal colloidal silver. The added benefit of this product is that it is guaranteed. If you don’t see results in 7 days, they will refund your money.
Finally, the company stand firmly behind their product. However, they never make false claims about it. They tell you frankly what they have found to be true and what they haven’t. As well as a few precautions to consider.
7. VetWELL Cat and Dog Ear Cleaner
- Contains Aloe Vera and Cranberry Fruit Extract
- Soak and Desensitize
- Works Great On All Ages
- Some Dogs Find It To Be Irritating
- One Reviewer Said It Made Their Cat Worse
The VetWell Ear Cleaner does more than just clean a cats ears; It cleans and desensitizes them, similar to how hydrogen peroxide works.
It's a good idea to clean and desensitize a cats ears before you give them a flea treatment or ear mite treatment or if they already have an infection.
The VetWell Ear Cleaner promotes healing of ear infections in cats. The product contains aloe vera, cranberry extract, and tea tree oil, which is known for its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
8. Bodhi Dog Ear Cleaner Solution
This all-natural ear cleanser from Bodhi Dog is perfect for treating most scares that plague the ears of both dogs and cats.
It comes in a convenient small 8 oz bottle so you can take it with you when traveling with your pet. This ear care solution is very versatile and can be used to clear up any ear infection that your pet may have. It also contains an anti-inflammatory agent to help relieve the pain your pet is experiencing.
Moreover, it is highly recommended if your pet has a yeast infection in his ears. This product is made out of natural ingredients and is therefore safe for your pet even if he has sensitive skin.
9. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Ear Therapy
- This concentrated medicated ear cleaner
- Gives you fast relief from your pets
- Ear infections
- The consistency is a little thin
- Some pet owners do not like the smell
This product is not supposed to be used as a solution to clean debris and excess wax. It is intended to be used to treat and soothe the irritation related to the bacterial, fungal and yeast infections.
It is active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate which kills virtually all germs it comes into contact with, including the most drug-resistant.
Chlorhexidine Gluconate also has topical anesthetic and antimicrobial effects.
10. Pet MD Otic Clean Dog Ear Cleaner
- High Ear Fluid Removal Rate
- Mildly Alcoholic
- Excellent value
- Pleasant scent will be overwhelmed by the usual odor of earwax
- Expensive for the average pet owner
Earwax buildup affects all dogs, to some degree or another. If your dog seems to be declining in health and you notice his ears smelling foul, change the water frequently and apply a drop or two of vinegar or witch hazel to his ears and dry them with a blow drier. This is sure to remove the smell.
Pets that are repeatedly exposed to water and mud will suffer from earwax buildup more than those that have not. There is no cure for this symptom, although your vet might prescribe drugs such as an antibacterial or antibiotic, but these will not prevent the wax from collecting in the ears. The best ear cleaners for your pet will help with this problem.
This is a good product. It is easy to use and it smells really nice. I use it regularly to clean my cats’ ears.
11. Arava Pet Ear Cleaner Wipes
- Great price
- Available in a small and large size
- Good for cats and dogs
- Takes care of yeast and mite irritation
Cat ears can be challenging to clean, however using these wipes is a quick and easy way to clean and sanitize your pet’s ears.
The wipes are made with natural ingredients, so there are no chemicals. Using these ear cleaning wipes is easy and mess-free. Just wipe your pet’s ear and be on your way.
12. John Paul Pet Ear and Eye Pet Wipes
- The one stop shop for keeping your pet’s eyes and ears clean
- Each pack has enough sheets for 45 applications
- An affordable, convenient option for pet owners
- Pet-safe, human-grade ingredients
- The unscented option cuts down the smell and also limits the possibility of allergies
Finally, this is a product that makes cleaning your feline easy.
All you need is this John Paul Pet ear and eye wipes, and just his shape will be clean and fresh.
This is the one stop shop for all your pet’s ears and eyes cleaning, with just a single wipe, you will get to clean all the dirty areas of your pet.
13. Warren London
- This ear cleanser safely removes wax from your pet’s ears
- Safe to use on dogs and cats and kids
- The wax is designed to serve as a natural protection to the ear canals
- Warren London’s Pet Ear Cleaner is vital for dogs and cats with floppy ears or allergies to keep their ears in good shape
- You no longer have to worry about buying special dog or cat ear cleaners as this works very well on all animals
- Some owners worry that it may be costly to use removing ear buildup from an animal regularly
- For many pet owners, their dogs and cats ears smell bad and this can be worrisome
The waxy substance that accumulates in any animal ears is supposed to function as a protection against outside dirt and bacteria. When the wax becomes too thick to perform its function, it is up to pet owners to break up the wax and prevent it from invading the ear canal.
14. Earthbath All Natural Specialty Ear Wipes
- The wipes cut down significantly on the odor
- They’re a great solution to safely clean and protect ears
- Affectively removes excess debris and wax
Ear infections need to be treated quickly, before they become unbearable and potentially dangerous.
Ear infections usually result in the accumulation of excess ear wax or debris. When you begin to see discharge from the ears that are clear or slightly yellow, you need to take action.
These wipes from Earthbath not only thoroughly remove excess debris from your ears and the wax that may be causing irritation; they also disinfect the area to prevent further infections.
15. BotaniVet Ear Cleaner 8 Oz
- Frequency of cleaning is really low
- No other ear cleaners will work as well as this one
- It does not do well with disgusting wax
- It may bother your cat if used daily
If your cat has dirty ears, kitty might not be too happy with you trying to clean them. If they are irritated, they may scratch or bite you. Besides, you may end up peeling your fingers after trying to be a cat clean-up crew.
This cleaner also has a pleasant smell. It is not overwhelming and will not leave your cat sneezing or have you walking around with a crinkled nose for the rest of the day due to the aroma.
This cleaner is great for application once a week to keep your cat happy and healthy.
16. Lively Pets Dog Ear Cleaner and Ear Infection Treatment
- An all-natural solution that increases the effectiveness of your pet’s overall immune system
- Works in a safe, gentle, and fast way
- No harsh chemicals, synthetic ingredients, or fragrances
- Has a pleasant smell
- Comfortable to use
- Does not contain alcohol
- The product is manufactured in the United States
This liquid gel comes with an easy to squeeze syringe, making it a breeze to put some in your pet’s ears. The product is an all-natural solution for treating and preventing ear infections.
The convenient squeeze tack makes it easy to get to the ears while minimizing mess. It can be used by applying it directly into the ear canal, massaging the base of the ear and behind the ears.
It is excellent for those owners who are concerned about keeping their home chemical free, or dog owners with puppies.
17. Hartz UltraGuard Ear Mite Treatment
- Works quickly for a vast majority of cats
- Safe to use as often as needed
- Doesn’t work for all cats
- Not sure about long term efficacy
As a cat owner, it’s important to know that there are certain risks that come with cat ownership. Ear mites are one of these risks.
These microscopic parasites target cats and can easily be transferred from cat to cat.
These little pests can be difficult to remove from a cat’s ears, which is why you should check out this cat ear cleaner. It’s specifically designed to prevent ear mites and other parasites from making their way into your cat’s ears.
18. Four Paws Ear Mite Remedy
- The container has a protective cover and is perfect for traveling, if that is something you are thinking about
- It is easy to use
- It is inexpensive compared to other products on the market
- Your cat needs to get used to this solution
- Some cats, particularly those with the problem of excessive ear wax, seem to develop a case of ear wax build up when using some products like this one.
Feline ear mites are one of the most common causes of itching and scratching in cats, and unfortunately these bites are also one of the most unpleasant things that someone who loves cats can experience. The intensity of your cat’s itching can vary from a mild nuisance to a serious medical issue.
Without serious treatment, ear mites can cause your cat to develop a difficult skin condition that can aggravate your cat’s persistent scratching and can also cause infection in the ears and skin. This isn’t to mention the cost that the issue can have on your life with cats with itching problems.
With all of the many factors to consider when looking for a way to treat ear mites, these so-called control remedies can offer an excellent option for treating feline ear mites.
19. Miracle Care R-7M Ear Mite Treatment 4oz
- The one product that kills mites and a broad range of other ear parasites such as ticks, fleas, and protozoa
- The only product that guarantees that it will eradicate ear mites, fleas, and ticks for dogs, cats, and puppies
- Clinically proven to be safe and effective on dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens
- Removes ear mites and ear mite eggs which can cause considerable pain, inflammation, infection, and itching
- May cause some itching and irritation in the ears
- The formula makes the surface of the ear mites slippery so they are more difficult to comb out
20. NaturVet – Ear Wash Liquid
- Tea-Tree Oil is known for its antiseptic properties
- Formulated to solve ear infections caused by excessive waxy build-up in the ears
- Hypoallergenic, Allergen Free, Non-GMO and Sulfate-Free
- Soap free
As an aid in the prevention of earwax build-up, we recommend that you wipe out your pet’s ears weekly with a cotton ball or washcloth moistened with Ear Rinse.
If your pet is prone to excessive earwax accumulation, you may need to use the product with more frequency. ”
21. Catly Ear Cleaner Spray I 3.38 Fl Oz I Contains Witch Hazel and Camomile I Safe Cleasning Solution
- Safe to use on kittens as well
- Easy application
- You can use the spray at home or take your cat to the vet
- Contains naturally occurring ingredients
- Animals love the smell of this cleaner
- Suitable for long haired and short haired cats
- The smell may not be to your liking, but your cat won’t mind
- The spray doesn’t last forever
You will find that the treatment is sufficient if you apply it as directed, although you can reapply it as many times as you wish.
Green Catly looks like a fine mist kills malodors naturally. It is great for cleaning out cat’s ears and for filling them with a pleasant aroma. It is suitable to use on young kittens and on older cats.
As is the case with other secretions from your cat’s body, ear secretions need to be cleaned regularly. It is helpful to check with your vet, as well. He or she can give you an idea of how often ear cleaning is needed and can recommend a specific product.
22. PPP Pet Aroma Care 100 Count Ear Wipes
- Effective in removing both water and wax earwax from their ears
- Relatively easy for even owners to use
- Use of an ear wipe creates minimal mess
- Boasts helpful ingredients like tea tree oil
- Some users have stated they may be able to reduce ear infections through use
- Many owners have stated they regularly use them to disinfect the paws, faces, and teeth of their pets
- 1-star reviews claim that cats get scared or irritated by the smell of the wipes.
- Some vets recommend cleaning your cat’s ears regularly, but the truth is that cats are very good at cleaning the wax out themselves as they have a natural inclination to do this.
However, if you feel it is needed you can use ear wipes in the process. The biggest issue with ear wipes is how to clean them after each use.
You can’t just toss them in the trash as it is not safe to do so with a used item. There are a few options you can try. These include putting them in a sealable plastic bag, or toilet paper roll and placing this in the trash.
You can also wash them in the washing machine. You can even donate used ear wipes to a local shelter or rescue for them to use.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best ear cleaner for cats?
Cleaning your cat’s ears isn’t quite as simple as cleaning your own. Kitties have a different ear shape, so while their cleaning method might be about the same, the tools you use may be different. You’ll need a few different items depending on the health of your cat’s ears.
Cheap cat ear cleaners can be just as good as the expensive ones. It’s important to remember that you’re trying to clean an ear, not diagnose an issue. If your pet is healthy, ear cleaning should be simple and straightforward.
Do cats like their ears cleaned?
Let me put this bluntly… Why the heck would you want to clean the ears of a cat? The answer is simple: cleaning your cat’s ears is the best way to help it avoid the pain and danger from some of the infections and irritations that may be developing inside. The most dangerous of these being an ear infection.
An infected ear can cause your pet to shake its head excessively, while making a noise that will stop you in your tracks. It can also lead to a crooked head posture and difficulty with balance (and you can guess what that means if your cat is falling down a staircase). Not fun!
Remember to keep an eye out for ear scabs, irritated skin, or odor to prompt you to schedule a cleaning.
Can you put hydrogen peroxide in cat's ears?
No, hydrogen peroxide is a no-no because it can damage your cat's ear and hearing. It will turn the wax brown, which is a sign of a chemical burn. Hydrogen peroxide may also damage the ear drum or even the bones in the ear.
The best way to clean out dirt and debris from a cat's ears is with a commercial ear cleaner found at any pet store. It will remove build-up and anything that might be in your cat's ears. Ask your veterinarian if you need any advice on how to clean the ears.
How often should I clean cat ears?
If you are thinking about taking the responsibility of cleaning your cat’s ears, it’s important to understand when you should do it and how often you should do it. The bad news is you should be cleaning your cat’s ears at least once a week. The good news is they cannot hear you coming before you start cleaning! The best cat ear cleaners, like this one, will make the job easier and it will take less time.
When choosing the best cat ear cleaner for your kitties, you need to consider a variety of factors. Perhaps the most important is safety – can it be used on cats and are there numerous causes for concern with its use? While some cat ear cleaners are highly recommended for cats, they cannot be used in combination with other products. On the other hand, others are designed specifically for cats and won’t pose any problems. Therefore, our number one concern for any top-rated ear cleaner for cats is how safe it is. This is arguably the most important feature to consider when purchasing a product for a cat.
|Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner||Best Overall|
|Hartz UltraGuard Ear Mite Treatment||Budget Pick|
|Zymox Advanced Formula Otic Plus Enzymatic Ear Solution||Upgrade Pick|