Of course, you might assume that any food container would be suitable for keeping cat food but it’s not that simple.
The best cat food storage containers for 2019 need to be carefully selected to help prevent pet food contamination, ensure freshness of the food, and make it easy to scoop and serve while on the go.
More and more owners are choosing to buy in bulk to save money on cat food. To do this correctly, you need to keep it fresh until you use it.
Generally, containers you find in the pet store aren’t good enough to do the job.
They’re either not spill-proof, not airtight or just too small for the job.
So, here you’ll get my picks and experience from my own cat food storage needs.
Be sure to take a look at the reviews below.
|simplehuman 25 Liter||Best Overall|
|Now Designs Cat Treat Tin||Budget Pick|
|Inspired Essentials Elevated Pet Feeder||Upgrade Pick|
1. simplehuman 25 Liter
- Top-quality brushed stainless steel with no sharp edges
- Wide opening for easy access to pet food, less spills
- Airtight seal secures pet food from infestation
- Built-in leveling feet
- More secure than a standard open canister, keeps out bugs
- Comes in two sizes, medium (this size) and large
- Lifetime warranty, 30-day risk-free return policy
- Fits perfectly in your cabinet, on the floor, or pantry floor
- Fits multi-cat households
This canister has a wide mouth that allows you to scoop out food easily. The plastic lid seals tightly to keep the critters out.
This canister is ideal for the multiple cat homes! It is a sturdy container when filled with pet food.
It is a little pricey, but is perfect for the cat owner that has multiple cats or has a cat with a hearty appetite.
2. IRIS USA Airtight Food Storage Container
- The lid is leakproof which is a must for cat food storage
- The 24 piece set includes containers of various sizes which are great for organizing lots of different foods
- Shelves are adjustable which means they can be used for the storage of different types of food
- The containers are airtight, safe for the freezer, refrigerator, and microwave
- The containers have an airtight silicone seal and matching color locking lids to help keep the smell in and the bugs out
- The lids are all interchangeable which means you can use any container for any use
- The containers are made from easy to clean BPA-free Eastman Tritan plastic
- And an extra lid to replace any that might get lost
- The silicone seal on the bottom of each container prevents smells from escaping
With Blue Lid (5.1 Cup)
If you are looking for a food storage container that is specifically made for your cat then this is one of the best. With its silicone seal the container will keep any smells from coming out and keeps air in so your cat’s food stays fresh a lot longer than in other food storage containers you will find.
3. Gamma2 Vittles Vault Outback Stackable Airtight Pet Food Storage Container
- The container is easy to open from the top or the side (if stacked)
- The containers stack well when filled with food
- Vent holes let air flow in and out so your food always stays fresh
- Comes in sets of 2 and 4 to allow you to size it to meet the size of your pet’s eating needs
- Some pet owners complain that their pets are able to break in and eat much more than they should
- Others dislike how expensive it is
If you have multiple pets and you want to make sure that they are eating the right amount and staying away from spoiled food, the Gamma2 is one of the best options out there.
4. Inspired Essentials Elevated Pet Feeder
- 3 separate compartments
- High walls make it hard for your pet to dig in.
- Airtight and waterproof to prevent leaks
- You can train your pet to use it.
- Can be used for cat litter
If you’ve ever had an issue with a pet food storage container, it’s probably with how the pet food falls out of it. Well, that won’t be the case with the Inspired Essentials Pet Feeder.
These are super-sturdy containers with a twist-lock lid. The outside of the lid is made of plastic and the inside is made out of mesh, both FDA approved for food storage purposes. What’s also great is that the food stays in the same place inside the bin. Even if you go to sniff it and it (the food) is on the floor.
5. Van Ness 10-Pound Food Container
- An outstanding seal to keep food fresh
- Easy to access and clean
- Heavy duty
- Easy to carry
- Variety of sizes to choose from
- Able to stack easily for compact storage
- Some users have experienced cracked lids
- Handles can break
- Not dishwasher safe
So why exactly are these containers are so great? For starters, because these containers are so great are because they are a staple in the food storage industry. They are well designed and easy to use.
Being able to transfer food from the store directly into your container is a plus. They fit nicely into the refrigerator and freezer, and items can easily be seen through the clear walls.
The lids on these containers are perfect for keeping the air out, and keeping food fresh for as long as possible.
6. IRIS Premium Airtight Pet Food Storage Container
- Has clips on the sides for stacking
- Great airtight seal
- Very convenient for people who are not good with vacuum bags
- Doesn’t scratch your stainless steel or plastic bowls
- Some customers have reported that the plastic is very thin and that it chips easily
- Sometimes the lids are misaligned
The IRIS Premium pet food container is another great container that will last a very long time and keep your food fresh.
The IRIS Premium Pet Food Storage Container comes in two sizes. A smaller 6 lb. size, and an 18-pound size. It is also offered in four colors, being Chrome, Ivory, Red, and Break-U.
This container’s airtight seal will ensure that your pet’s food will remain fresh for years to come. Thanks to its airtight seal, pet food stored in this container will last one to two years if properly stored. Using this container will make it easy to keep track of your pet’s food supply.
7. Bone Dry DII Lattice Square Ceramic Pet Bowl
- Not only can it be used for food or water, you can also use it for cat litter
- You can use it for dry or wet food or water
- It also cleans easily
- It has a cute lattice design which is good if you want to keep your pet’s food and water away from their reach
- Doesn’t look as bulky as other storage containers
- It is dishwasher safe
- Shallow bowls
- Biscuits and dry meals tend to fall out
- The color listed is white but the actual color sent is more of a beige
- Not good for outdoor use
This ceramic cat bowl is built to last. It is made of strong and durable ceramic. This means it is good for indoor or outdoor use. It also makes it easy to clean with just warm, soapy water.
This is not a free standing bowl as it needs to be placed in a 25 gallon aquarium.
This is perfect for indoor or outdoor use. You can actually use it for both wet and dry food.
8. Now Designs Cat Treat Tin
- Four separate compartments keep food fresh and organized
- Allows you to indulge your kitty without making a mess
- Pet food can spoil quickly when left in its original packaging, but this product solves that problem
- Maintains an airtight seal to prevent food from going stale
- You’ll be able to store dry and wet cat food and treats
- When full of food, the holes for dispensing may be too small for your cat to push food out
- The latch can break but it’s easy to fix
- Some cats may not like the plastic smell
You can store dry and wet food, treats, and kitty vitamins in this food storage container. The compartment slots keep things neatly organized and easy to access so you can go from one meal to the next without any hassle.
To keep grime and dirt from ruining your food, this storage container features a flip-flap lid. It also has a wide-open top that you can fill without having to remove the lid to get at your pet’s chow.
9. You & Me Store & Roll Food Storage Container
- Easy-to-open lids
- Comes with various sizes for different types of food
I have a cat and I tend to have a little trouble trying to separate his wet and dry food when I need to put it in the fridge. The You & Me Store & Roll Pet Food Container solves all of those food storage problems.
This container was made for cats and dogs. I would like to take a moment to point out that cats have very sensitive taste buds. Because of that, I was worried that my cat wouldn’t like the way the food tasted. However, he can’t wait for me to fill up his food container.
Made out of 100% food grade silicone, these containers are odor-resistant and waterproof. They are also BPA-free, so you won’t have to worry about chemicals getting into your animal’s food.
10. White Pet Treat Cat and Dog Treat Container
- This pet container is large and sturdy
- It makes your pet food easy to serve quickly
- It is a good looking container, even for a pet container!
- With these pet containers, you get a whole set that includes a canister and two cookie cutters
- You can use these pet containers to store many other things!
- Reviewers like that they fit in any countertop
- These containers are easy to use
- Reviewers said that the tops come off easily
- Reviewers thought that the cookie cutters were small
- Reviewers did not like that the cutters were sharp and could hurt their animals
This pet storage container can hold a large amount of pet food. This pet food container is made of a nice high-quality plastic. It has a flat top which helps to keep your food fresh longer. Included with the container itself is a cutout for a scoop. This set also includes two cute bone-shaped cookie cutters.
You can use these pet containers to store and serve lots of other things. Other things you can use them for include candy, nuts, pretzels, cookies, treats, crackers, and vegetables. They are sturdy enough to use for non-food items as well.
11. TIOVERY Pet Food Storage Container
- This dry food storage container will keep your dog food safe and fresh
- This dry pet food container can also be used for other things such as storing craft supplies, office supplies, dry foods for humans, etc.
- This soft-sided pet food container has a one-hand removable lid, which is easy to use and can be locked for extra security
- Pet food container is great for indoor and outdoor placement
The lid is not tight fitting, so it is not leak-proof. This container would not be ideal for wet dog food.
This storage container is very well made. Stainless steel and BPA free with weights on the bottom. Airtight to keep contents fresh (although not as tight as the IPET one recommended below).
12. OXO Pet Food Storage POP Container
- Looks sleek
- Stores easily out of the way
- Lid pops back into place with a spring
- Can be easily pushed open by pet
- Prevents air from circulating
The OXO Good Grips POP food container has a weighted, non-slip bottom, rubber seal that creates an airtight seal (to help keep food fresh), and a sliding transparent lid.
This container is made with OXO’s Good Grips line, which implies that it is ergonomic and comfortable to use. It’s made from BPA-free plastic and isn’t out of place on the kitchen counter.
This food storage container is lightweight enough for easy handling and going from the fridge to the kitchen counter, and even safe for the dishwasher.
13. Toynk Cat in A Box Storage Tin
- The lid provides airtight seal
- Comes with a label
- Easy to store due to its compact size
- Cat owners are comfortable with food storage in this container
14. Morezi Dog Treat and Food Storage Tin
- Perfect for dog treats, dog food etc.
- Elegant cream powder coating
- Leak-proof lid for food safe management
- Guaranteed tight seals for freshness and peak freshness
- Great storage container for dog treats
- Comes with bonus serving spoon
Customers say that once they received their dog treat containers, they liked them right away.
They are a bit bigger than dog biscuit containers, but the space is very useful for dog owners, especially if they have big dogs like German Shepherds, which need many dog treats, but they also need to keep them fresh.
You can use this container to keep dog treats and dog food. You can use it to store almost everything. If you have a dog, you'll want to have one of these containers, so you can easily feed your pet with dog treats or dog food.
15. Kytely Airtight Pet Food Storage Container
- Airtight seal keeps food fresh for longer
- You can select from 7 different sizes
- The measuring cup matches the container color
- 4 buckles lock the container shut for freshness
- Made by BPA free materials
- Plastic is microwave oven safe to 500°
- Can last you years to come
- It only works for dry foods
- Smaller cup for the Kytely Pet Food Cabinet is sold separately
If you own pets and you’re looking for a solution to the challenge of keeping your pet food fresh for longer, then here’s your solution. Take a look at the Kytely Pet Food Storage Container, which comes in 7 different sizes.
Its small pet food storage container comes with a measuring cup that matches the color of the container.
16. Inspired Essentials Airtight Plastic Pet Food Storage Container
- 2-pounds with lid and 4-pounds without
- You can see exactly how much food is left
Inspired Essentials is one of the best pet feeder manufacturers. This airtight pet food storage container has a number of advantages over its competitors. It has a clear base and a translucent cover that allows you to see exactly how much pet food is left. It also has a large gasket to keep it tight and spill-proof. The airtight lid is easy to take off and put back on for those who have trouble opening and closing lids.
Aside from the clear cover, the cover itself is made with BPA free material and is unbreakable. You also get an almond spill-proof design that will help keep your pet safe from any sort of leakage and mess. The container is also made from high-quality material that has been FDA approved.
Overall, this is one of the sturdiest pet food storage containers out there that you will find. This product will do you well regardless of whether you’re one who feeds your pet on a daily basis or on a routine schedule.
17. Bergan Smart Storage
- Airtight and air circulation, moisture-free
- Durable & Stable
- Cracks easily
- Overall flimsy
The Bergan storage container has a simple design and incorporates a useful way to measure out the food. It has a handle on each end which makes it easy to carry around.
The design is very efficient, so the airtight seal is very strong. However, the seal on this container is overall much less effective than the other two on this list. The lid on the container is also a little flimsy so you have to be careful with it. We have broken many lids because we were too rough with them.
If you are looking for a container that is easy to carry around, the Bergan is an excellent option. It’s dimensions are perfect for smaller dogs, and its design fits standard food bags.
18. 3- Piece Airtight Pet Food Storage Container Combo
- Vibrant, attractive design
- Slim design takes up less space than ordinary cans
- Easy to remove lid
- Heavy lid lifts
- Not ideal for small quantities
This is the item that will make your life easier when storing dry food.
Arriving in your home looking like a colorful little gift box, this impressive set is well designed and sturdy. Each of the containers can hold up to 17lbs of dry food. Perfect for the type of pet parent who doesn’t want to feed massive amounts of food at one sitting.
Because the inside of each container is made of a special kind of plastic, moisture wont get trapped inside and it will also keep pests out.
- For both dry and wet food…
- Measuring lines for portion control…
- Spout makes it easy to pour in serving sizes…
- Perfect for storing ALL types of pet food…
- Made of BPA Free plastics…
- Great for keeping dogs food fresh…
Just one look at the Buddeez pet food storage containers, and you can tell this is a product made by pet lovers.
These containers are not just meant for heavy use. There purpose is also to keep your food fresh and provide you with the ability to easily pour into your pets bowl.
They are made with BPA free plastics which is a nice feature considering that many pet food storage containers are not.
20. Premier Housewares Adore Pets Feed The Cat Food Storage Bin
- Easy to assemble and use
- Includes a scoop for feeding
- Very easy to clean
- The perfect size for cats
- Storage capacity is 6.5 liters
This clever container has a scoop built right into the lid, so you can get to the food quickly and easily whether your cat eats wet or dry food. The sturdy construction makes it tough enough to handle the knocks and bumps of everyday use.
As with all of the products on this list, you get to choose your color. You can get indigo, fuchsia, lime green, melon, peach, sea blue, white, and black.
This storage container is BPA- and phthalate-free. The non-skid feet make sure your pet feeder stays in place.
21. Paw Prints Plastic Pet Food Bin
- Good price
- The lid on this container fits very well, and keeps the moisture in, as well as a no mess seal
- Lightweight, easy to carry
- Sturdy, well-made product
- Hinge is secure and makes it easier to open
- Plastic smell is quite bad when first received
- The Paw Prints plastic bin is the best cat food container that you can get for use at home. Not only is it suitable for pet food, but it can be used for pellets, rice, pasta and even nuts and grains.
Pet Food Container Holds 15 lbs.
The handle on the side comes in handy when transporting your cat’s food, and even works well for smaller dogs. It’s a lightweight bin with a lid that protrudes off the back of the bin, so you can easily carry it when it’s full.
The Paw Prints bin is the best container on my list. The price is very affordable, especially if you are just starting out and don’t have a lot of money to buy all the essentials that you need…
22. Amici Pet
- This is the best metal pet food storage container you can get.
- Strong, firm, and smells good.
- It’s well made, doesn’t bother my dog and keeps food fresh.
- There's no lock, but I don't find that to be a problem.
- The shape of the container is not friendly to large bags of pet food.
Although I love this metal storage bin, I am sure you might not like it (especially if you have a large cat). Don’t have an oversized kitty cat? If this holds 10+ pounds of pet food and don’t want to spend a lot of money, you should consider this one of the best pet food storage containers.
It is very durable and heavy enough not to tip over. It is not rubber or plastic and is a little on the heavy side. However, this pet food storage container is still able to roll around on its wheels, but you can place it against a wall if you wish. The wheels lock in place, so it stays in the place where you set it.
This simple design works well for smaller pets, but check it out if you have a big dog, too. It's a good choice just because it's metal, which is better than plastic.
23. Van Ness 50-Pound Food Container
- Very easy to clean the lid. Does not take a lot of effort to clean out the edges of the top, which can be hard to do with many other sets of containers.
- The lid fits very well. It can be quite frustrating to get some lids to fit just right, but this one does it easily. The lid has air vents, so your keeping your pet’s food fresh will not be a problem, and it will not cause food spoilage.
- Wheels make it easy to move the container from one place to another. Wheels are not a necessity when it comes to empty containers, but they can make life a lot easier. Especially if you have to fill the container often. They are also helpful if you have to handle heavy food inside the containers (you may not want to pick up 50 pounds of wet food).
The Fresh-Tite seal does not really do much. After weeks of use, the container is still quite hard to close securely. You may find yourself having to use more effort to keep the lid on the container. All that being said, the lid stays closed much better than some other sets. Just be sure to keep a tight grip on the Fresh-Tite seal and close it slowly.
24. Incredible Solutions 95300 Pet Food
- Keeps your pet’s food fresh and bug free
- It’s easy to keep your food stored
- This container is also great for storing non-pet related items in
Are you tired of throwing out moldy pet food? Do you live in a humid area that leads to pet food going bad quickly? If you have a pet food storage container then you are in luck. If you answer “yes” to these questions then this may be the solution for you.
This air tight pet food storage container is made of heavy-duty plastic. The lid features a one-way air-venting system. This allows air to enter the container, but it doesn’t allow any air to escape. This means that your food will stay fresh longer. This also means that any rodents that are trying to get into the food will be unsuccessful. This means that although it is heavier than other models, it will be worth the peace-of-mind that you will get by knowing that your pet does not have to contend with a rodent.
25. Pet Canisters Fresh Dry Dog & Cat Food Storage Container stainless steel
- Airtight and leak-proof
- Durable and strong
- Hanging hooks make it easy to store
- The container is lightweight (1.2 pounds) and easy to carry
- It is made of high quality, stainless steel and has a nice finish
It is a bit pricy compared to other storage containers. But it is still worth it as it lasts for a long time.
This Pet Canisters storage container is made from stainless steel and has a great finish. It is made of high quality, strong, durable and airtight.
It keeps your pet food dry whether wet or dry. It is not easy to find such a good pet canister which keeps pet food dry and in a room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best kitchen storage containers?
These are not only a must-have for any home, but are an absolute necessity for any allergist or any cat owner. So what should you consider when choosing the right kitchen storage containers for your home? We think it’s important that the containers are BPA Free. This is because cat food storage containers aren’t used just by you; they will also be a big part of your cats life. You want to keep your furry pal and her environment safe and healthy. The two best materials for cat food storage containers is glass and stainless steel. Both are easy to clean and are non-porous. They are also both safe for food storage.
What is the best supermarket cat food?
My cat is not a fan of dry food but enjoys a good wet cat food. Of course I don't want to make a special trip to the store every time I run out (especially when I don't have time), so I want to stock up. It's also a good idea to at least go through a few options in your favorite supermarket. The reason is simple: sometimes the quality of wet cat food packaged at the store is less than you would find in the can.
What cat food ingredients should I avoid?
When choosing cat food, you should be aware that a lot of the low-quality brands have unhealthy ingredients. The first comes from implied grain fillers. A lot of these are advertised as grains that are meant to sound nutritious, but that might be wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup or even various other cheap fillers.
The second thing to avoid, as per the WSAVA (World Small Animal Veterinary Association) are flavoring agents. These include things like salt, sugar and artificial flavors and can cause sodium toxicity.
Is it safe to store cat food in a plastic container?
To be honest, I've never worried about storing cat food in an un-BPA container, so long as both the container and the food are in good condition, i.e. not cracked or otherwise damaged.
Maybe the concern is that some plastics contain BPA, but I'm not sure how likely it is that BPA would leach from the plastic into the dry cat food. Cat food is often also in a bag inside the container but I'm not sure what the worry is there. As I said, I've never found it necessary to worry about storing cat food in a plastic container.
A more direct question might be whether or not it's safe to store cat food in zipper bags. Zipper bags aren't necessarily plastic, in fact, I'm pretty sure most zipper bags are made of plasticized paper.
The cat food storage containers come in various kinds, shapes and sizes. Based on their material, their prices vary as well. The most common are the stainless steel ones which are available in many sizes and shapes. They are affordable and strong and can last practically forever. The others are mostly made of plastic and are used more for decorative purposes. Plastic ones have to be handled with care to prevent them from breaking down with time or developing cracks.
The material of the container and its size is the main feature you should keep in mind when you’re deciding upon the right container for your cat’s food. Choose the one that suits your requirements best.
|simplehuman 25 Liter||Best Overall|
|Now Designs Cat Treat Tin||Budget Pick|
|Inspired Essentials Elevated Pet Feeder||Upgrade Pick|