Just like everything else listed here, cat litters can vary significantly in terms of quality.
The main difference between an expensive cat litter and a cheap one is simple: clay used.
A cheap litter is mostly made of clay which is designed to clump when wet. The problem with this combination: cats don’t like to bury their excrements, so they tend to kick the litter around when doing their business.
However, most cats are very intelligent and can adapt to most types of litter, so even if you don’t like the ingredients of a particular product, it may still be the right option for your pet.
If you’re a cat owner, I’ve reviewed the top 15 best cat litters for odor control in 2022.
|ARM & HAMMER Clump & Seal Platinum Cat Litter||Best Overall|
|Neon Clumping Silica Gel Cat Litter||Budget Pick|
|Ever Clean Ever Fresh Litter||Upgrade Pick|
1. ARM & HAMMER Clump & Seal Platinum Cat Litter
- Available in 40 lbs and 12 lbs
- Budget Friendly
- Low Dust
- Wetness Protection
- Great for odor control
- Corn, Wheat, Soy and Scent Free
- Multi-Cat formula
- Recommended by veterinarians
- Clumps better than the usual clay litter
A pet care brand made by the New Jersey-based company Church & Dwight, Clump & Seal is a silica-based cat litter that is able to outperform all other conventional cat litters on the market today. At the same time, it is also safe to use around your home and family, which is important.
In comparison to other silica cat litters, you will notice that it is able to trap odors far better than its competitors, thus making it a great cat litter if you are looking for something that does not smell.
2. ARM & HAMMER Clump & Seal Platinum Clumping Cat Litter
- One of the top clumping cat litters for odor control
- It is hypoallergenic
- It is very easy to clean
- It doesn’t control odor as much as other litters
- It’s a little pricey considering how well it clumps
You will be hard-pressed to find a better clumping cat litter than the Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Platinum.
The Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Platinum Cat Litter is mainly used to control odor as this product is a clumping cat litter.
Arm & Hammer recommends using a scoop with this product. In addition, you should remove the clumps daily for best results.
3. Arm & Hammer Platinum Slide Easy Clean-Up Clumping Cat Litter
- Arm & Hammer brand is known to produce pet-safe products
- Small granules are fine enough that they clump quickly
- Lots of Product Reviews (5.5K)
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, 90 Day Replacement Guarantee
- Higher price point
- Smaller Amount Packets
What Makes This A Great Betta Tank?
Why is this one of the best Betta tanks? Because it provides your Betta with the space that it needs to swim around. This is important because these fish can be a little lazy at times. They like to take an occasional break from swimming. The type of lid makes everything easy to maintain and add fish as you feel that they may need a friend. The lights help with beginners or if you need supplemental lighting for your plant life. They are also easy to remove if you decide to place them in another tank. The best feature about this Betta tank is that it is simple to clean and maintain. The filter does not require any special product to clean the filter cartridge. The product handles everything, which makes it very simple to maintain.
4. World's Best Cat Litter
- Extremely economical
- Litter clumps very well and traps odors
- Takes some time to clump
- Can be a bit dusty
The World’s Best ranks higher than any other cat litter on the market and anyone who has switched to World’s Best is likely to never switch again.
Made out of whole-kernel corn, this litter is marketed as doing an outstanding job of odor control, clumping, and being economically friendly.
The product does an adequate job of keeping ammonia smells to a minimum. While my research has shown that there is no ideal litter for this when dealing with waste, this is one of the best available.
5. So Phresh Odor Control Paper Pellet Cat Litter
Paper pellets are great for odor control and can be incredibly cheap to use for this reason. This product really is one of the best odor control systems on the market, which is why it is occupying its own product space.
It can handle urination and poop and will eliminate the odor instantly. This litter is wonderful for the litter box of any size and has amazing clumping powers. The granular texture means that feces are easy to remove, making cleanups quick and painless. It also offers excellent odor control.
The litter is designed to be long-lasting and will clump much better than other products which gives it excellent parent reviews on the market.
6. Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Multi-Cat Quick-Clumping Cat Litter
- Has odor-absorbing activated carbon
- Awesome clumping formula
- Contains no chemicals
- Cat litters by nature can be messy
- Not recommended for kittens or elderly cats
- Cannot be flushed down the toilet
This premium litter is made with a natural walnut-based formulation and mixed with a highly absorbent and odor-eliminating carbon and is dust-free.
With no added chemicals or perfumes that can strain your cat’s internals and lungs, natural cat litter is easy to use, low-dust, and a healthy choice for your feline friend.
The clumping action of this litter prevents the waste from being scattered all over the floor and into your cat’s paws when they walk or dig around in the litter box.
7. Feline Pine Cat Litter
- Doesn’t smell nearly as bad or for as long as other options
- Less tracking, but there’s still some
- Outstanding odor control
- Made from crude pine oil
- Less effective when used for multiple cats
- Relatively expensive initial cost
- More tracking than I would like
Feline Pine Pet Products is an environmentally friendly company that isn’t satisfied with the top spot, and strive to always improve its quality by increasing its thickness, making it scoop out easier, and decreasing the amount of dust that is mixed into it.
The litter clumps very well and while there is still an odor, it’s much more bearable. You can use the litter for multiple cats and the amount of clean up per day reduces significantly.
8. Ultra Pet Better Way Clumping Cat Litter
- Low dust and tracking for easy clean up and a cleaner home
- Quick clumping for easy scoop
- Affordable and high quality
- Natural, eco-friendly ingredients
- This litter is completely dust-free
- Its high quality makes it less likely that a pet might develop an allergic reaction to the dust
- Some users have reported that this litter is highly perfumed
- Clumps can stick to the bottom of the litter box if you’re not careful about removing feces right away
Some people may immediately look for brands that specifically advertise that their cat litter will help to control odors. So, it might be a good idea to know what the key ingredient in the best odor-controlling cat litter is: bentonite clay.
Over the years, bentonite clay has been used to treat many conditions and diseases, including cancer, asthma, and diabetes. Bentonite, which is a pure mineral, is created from volcanic ash.
It helps to maintain a natural PH balance within a cat’s waste matter. It also adsorbs moisture like a sponge, and helps to reduce odor by absorbing grease from the waste.
9. It's A Tea Potty! Hinoki Wood & Green Tea Natural Cat Litter by Weruva
- Great odor control
- An amazing natural litter for cats
- It clumps well, making it easy to remove
- Made of natural materials makes it safe for your cat
- Not a single bad review on Amazon
This litter is fully compostable. It is made from green tea wood, wakame algae, deodorized corn starch, and natural calcium carbonate. This litter is an eco-friendly solution for people who don't want to use clay litter or any litter.
If you are worried about the litter boxes smell, then this litter will help you determine the odor of your cat's waste without any headache, thanks to its natural absorbing wood fiber.
This litter is made of natural ingredients that your cat will like. It is designed to quickly clump the urine and feces, and it is easy to remove the waste.
10. PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter
- This is another great odor control cat litter
- There's convenient waste pans with scoops
- AND it has no tracking
- It's got to be washed out and the wet litter gets heavy
- Although it's convenient, it does feel like you're just putting it down to pick up after your cat
- There is a smell to it
It's PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter, and is by far the BEST odor control cat litter. And almost nobody has complaints about it. With a tracking score of 5 out of a possible ten, it's close to the top of an overall score that had many 10's and very few 1's and 2's.
It also has a nice robust construction and a convenient waste tray that comes with its own scoop. The tray has a grass-like feel to it, and it's very attractive. It's also a very modern, and yet very natural looking design.
One of the best reviews I've seen for the PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter is when a person says "This is the greatest invention ever. You cannot smell anything; I could put it under my desk and never know it was there!"
11. Fresh News Cat Litter
- 99 percent dust-free
- Great for multi-cat households
- Pleasant fragrance
- Some cats don’t like the way the litter feels on their paws
- Cats who don’t like corn or clay litters
Taking regular trips to the litter box can be one of the less glamorous chores of cat ownership. What could be more pleasant than coming home to a litter box that doesn’t smell? Well, there’s a new litter that promises just that: Fresh News Cat Litter.
12. Purina Tidy Cats Non-Clumping Cat Litter
- Has two cat attractants
- Very safe for your cat
Unlike other cat litters, Tidy Cats does not cause dust, and therefore, any increase in breathing and allergic problems.
Cat waste can be drawn into the bag so that there is no contact with the litter. This eliminates the problems of cats that eat the waste and spread it over the house.
Safely solid household waste that will not cause any unpleasant smells in the future. Another advantage of the small granules is that they are easy to remove. They are not prone to getting stuck in the cat’s paws and making a mess all over the house.
13. Neon Clumping Silica Gel Cat Litter
- Superior odor control
- Fast clumping action
- Improves indoor air quality
- Lower dust than some other brands
- Lightweight and clumps very easily
- You can immediately tell that there’s a difference in smell and appearance from this brand
- The comparatively cheap price for the large quantity you get.
- Ideal for a male or female cats
- Can easily get tracked out of the litter box if you are using it outside and then they track it inside on their feet or paws
- Some users have reported that the sizes of the litter covering aren’t accurate from what they advertised
- While that helps the LitterMaid scoop easily, it can also end up stuck in the LitterMaid scooper and it has to be removed manually or else it can cause damage to the machine.
- It is a completely natural product and is often less effective for disposing of strongly smelling substances.
- Some users have also reported that this litter has no odor control once it gets wet as it doesn’t clump together and doesn’t control the excess liquid.
14. Ever Clean Ever Fresh Litter
- Cat owners rave about how effective this litter it at odor control.
- Very cost effective
- Some reviewers have been a bit disappointed with how much dust there is with this litter. It’s something to do with the activated charcoal but it doesn’t stop many from using this litter and commenting on how effective it is.
- Some reviewers have also found the clumps to be a bit small. Most focus on how well the litter absorbs odors, however, so this seems to be less of an issue.
I love this litter…and I LOVE the scent of it. It’s unscented but it has a lemony smell to it that I love. I…ve tried several different types and themes of litter and I always end up going back to this stuff… I’m even using this on an outdoor building with my chicken coop since I loved it so much.
15. Fresh Step Multi-Cat Scented Litter
- With odor control aid and a hypoallergenic formula, this litter works to eliminate odors and control dust mites, thanks to an ultra-dense formula and micro-particles
- Its formula contains odor control agents that neutralize and eliminate odors without any extra perfume
- It is specially designed for multi-cat households to discourage eliminations in the same area, and contains odor-absorbing technology that helps trap litter box odors, while its low-tracking formula keeps your home smelling fresh
- The formula contains clumping clay to make scooping easy, and clean-up time less of a task
- It is soft and lightweight, making cat litter transport and disposal easier
- It is incredibly low-dust which makes cleaning up easy.
- This is not a flushable litter
- It is pricier than other litter brands
With easy-to-use package, great odor control, low-dust formula and superior clumping ability, Fresh Step Multi-Cat Scented Litter is an excellent choice for your multi-cat household.
More product and vendor information can be found on Amazon.
16. Nature's Miracle Multi-Cat Clumping Clay Litter
- It clumps well
- This product is a good choice for someone who has only one cat in their house
- It is unscented
- This product is not dusty when it is being cleaned
- It is very cost effective
- This product will get rid of any odors in your home
- This product can hold up to 5 times its weight in liquid
- This product is made in the United States
- This product has mediocre absorption
- This product has a low odor control rating
- This product is not as safe as some other cat litters
- This product will produce a lot of dust when it is being cleaned
- This product has to have a lot of litter added to it in order to be cleaned
If you are looking for a cat litter that is unscented and is made in the United States, then this could be a product for you. The litter itself is made from clay that is very absorbent. It has a great clumping factor to it and clumps very easily when it is cleaned. It is a little bit pricier than other cat litters, but the quality is better, and it will last you longer.
17. Arm & Hammer Slide Cat Litter
- Much better price compared to other alternatives
- Clumps easily
- 99.9% dust free
- Lasts a long time
- If you’re a member of the Walmart Pickup Program, the order also lasts a long time
It's hard to find a mainstay cat litter that is a great value for the money, but we think this one is it. In general, you can't argue with the price, as it's only slightly more expensive than the big box store brands that people often recommend. Plus, though we think it isn't the best fit for very odor sensitive cats, it will definitely decrease the odor in your home for most. You can also use it to try to decrease automatic litter box odor if that's something that you deal with, but since it's flushable we don't think it's the best option.
Arm & Hammer Slide may not have the silica gel or odor control technology that some other options do, but it is much cheaper here than many other brands (and even the other Arm & Hammer options). It clumps quite easily, and has a pH of 7, which is right at the middle of the litter spectrum, so it shouldn't be a concern for either type of cat.
18. Fresh Step CAT Litter 261213 Triple Action Scooping Litter
- Available at reasonable price
- Very absorbent; this litter has a great clumping ability so it doesn't get clumped around your cat's feet
- Highly absorbent litter; even if your cat pees in the same spot several times, it doesn't absorb too much, and the odor control is great as a result.
- Come in different varieties; they have different scents to choose from.
- It is made from recycled paper, if that is a concern for you.
- It doesn't leave any dust behind
- The bag could be bigger
- Over time some cats may prefer a different litter due to the lack of scent change
Fresh Step has been tried and tested by many cat owners, and they have been pleased with the results. Somehow this litter manages to be both a clumping and non-clumping litter at the same time.
This is a nice feature because when it is time to clean out the litter box, you do not have to go over the wood shavings on the bottom to find the clumps stuck to it.
Also, the odor control is decent, so when you scoop out the clumps you won't have to smell the odor of the cat litter again.
19. Precious Cat Dr. Elsey's Long Haired Cat Litter
- Made from natural materials that are healthy and safe for cats
- Natural clay material is unscented and dust free
- Excellent at soaking up liquids without getting mushy or breaking apart
- The litter itself needs to be tightly sealed in a bag or container or it will go everywhere when you shake it out of the box
- Migration of the natural materials over time means that if your cat urinates and then leaves the box for a while, you may notice the smell when he comes back into the box
- Doesn’t clump well with snow or rain
10lbs, Multiple Cat Clumping Cat Litter.
This is a great everyday litter that is eco friendly. It’s also very reasonably priced, more so than most of the brands that advertise for all-natural materials.
You will need to make sure you always use a litter box liner in order to avoid the sensation of cleaning the litter box, since the litter tends to stay in the box when you scoop it or when your cats kick it out. This is because the litter is very fine and doesn’t stick as well as some of the other products. Thankfully, it needs to be replaced less often.
20. Garfield Cat Litter All Natural
If you need to control heavy odor, then this might be the perfect product for you. In addition to having an absorbent surface, this litter is also naturally antimicrobial and deodorizing. This can help to kill bad bacteria and eliminate foul odors.
The texture of this kitty litter is not overly soft or abrasive so it will not hurt your cat's paws. This litter is also known for its durability, as it can help to keep up to 3 weeks with a single scooping.
You will also appreciate how easy the product is to clean. One of the reasons that it is so easy to clean is that it can help to reduce the amount of dust that is in the air when you are laying the product down, while the rest of the litter is compacted.
21. Canada Litter Clumping Cat Litter
- This is one of the cheapest cat litters you can buy at the moment, and you pay for what you get.
It does exactly what you would expect it to do and nothing more. It clumps great, which is something you want when it comes to litter that comes in contact with your pet's mess.
The pool rover is an excellent product for all pool owners. It does all the work of vacuuming your pool by itself. When you buy one you get one remote that handles all settings for the device. It's super lightweight and easy to use. It has a long cord that lets you vacuum the pool from one end to the other. It's designed to get around the edges of your pool if that was your concern.
This is the ideal product to prevent you from doing all those tedious chores of cleaning your pool. You literally just have to press start and walk away.
22. CatSpot Litter: Coconut Cat Litter
- CatSpot litter is 99.9% dust-free, lightweight, and biodegradable
- Absolutely no scent
- Almost 50% less odor than other all-natural litters
- It has a very soft texture and clumps up nicely
I was very skeptical about the concept of an all-natural, odorless cat litter. I thought there was no way that any type of litter could offer both odorless and ease of use. However, this litter is amazing. The odor is reduced to a fraction of what it would normally be while using other litters.
23. Purina Yesterday's News Fresh Scent & Clean Scent Paper Cat Litter
- Budget Friendly
- Almost dust free (if you get the right litter)
- Not 100% Dust Free
- Needs to be changed frequently, otherwise the ammonia smell will build up (not so much of a problem with the Fresh Scent)
I have two cats that love to dig until they find the exact spot they want. It's impossible to keep up with their digging, clumping litter, and I didn't like using my hands to scoop poop that spread around all over the place. I was sick of scooping my litter box! Recently, I tried Purina's Yesterday's News for the first time. It came in multiple scents, I chose Fresh Scent, but Clean Scent also available. I actually found it hidden on the dusty shelves of Walmart! There aren't a lot of options for clumping cat litters, but Yesterday's News fits the bill with no smell and no dust. The litter box isn't as smelly and it's so convenient being able to separate the clean and dirty litter so easily. I haven't had to buy anything since I've tried this, and don't plan to until I have to change the litter out in the next six months.
24. EcoCare Organic Bamboo Cat Litter
- Low Dust
- Most natural litter
- Odor Control
- Cost Efficient
- Small granule size makes it a bit difficult to clean out
- Can be harder to find
Ecocare is a well-known family oriented company.
They have been in business for going on 20 years with an excellent track record and reputation.
The EcoCare organic cat litter is made from 100% biodegradable and renewable resources, this litter is a safe bet for your little friend.
25. HARTZ Multi-Cat Lightweight Recycled Clumping Paper Cat Litter
- Great odor control.
- Ultra lightweight.
- Absorption performance.
- Cats like it, but it’s not great for the environment.
- Hartz Cat Litter is a non-clumping light-weight recycled paper for multiple cats that contains a natural odor control agent.
- Hartz Cat Litter is made from a renewable resource and natural plant fibers.
Light Gray, 40-Pound.
Hartz Cat Litter offers outstanding performance that helps you keep your home clean, fresh and fragrant for your family and your cat. Hartz Cat Litter clumps for easy scooping and seals away odors and messes.
Hartz Cat Litter is ultra lightweight and easy to pour, store, carry and clean up. Hartz Cat Litter offers outstanding performance that helps you keep your home clean, fresh and fragrant for your family and your cat.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which cat litter is best for odor control?
It’s important to find a type of cat litter that can do two things: 1) eliminate odor and 2) prevent tracking.
If you have large or long-haired cats, you may need to find a litter that prevents tracking. Some litters that are light and fluffy tend to move easily as your cat paws around, which can be a problem. You may get more tracking with certain litters and that may mean more cleanup later on.
Odor elimination is a consideration that you should also weigh when making your liter choice. You may be aware that some litters don’t do much to eliminate smell. And, if you live in a small space, you may get an odor problem that’s harder to control.
In the end, you’ll want to find the right mix of the two elements to choose the perfect litter.
How do you keep a litter box from smelling?
Having to deal with the odor of cat waste and urine can make you want to cover your nose for years to come. If you've ever owned a cat, then you know just how bad cat urine and feces can smell! Luckily there are a couple of things you can do to make the experience less smelly. Start by choosing the right cat litter.
A cat litter with reliable odor control is absolutely necessary if you don't want to constantly deal with the smell. While not all litters are equal when it comes to odor control, there are a few that stand out in our minds.
We recommend looking for a litter that contains activated carbon which can eliminate 60% of odor molecules. Another great option is to choose a natural or all-natural litter made from ingredients like zeolite clay which absorb odors.
Why does my cat litter stink so bad?
Let's be honest: almost all cat litter has a fairly strong odor. It gets worse if you don't scoop daily or if you get a cheap litter that wasn't formulated to be odor-free. Some litters can start to smell downright foul after a few days too. The worst part is, they rarely continue to smell fresh if you sprinkle a bit of litter with every scoop. Most cat litters with a strong odor need to be replaced every 2 months or so.
A strong smell isn't the only drawback of some litter though. Try keeping it in a small room for a day and see how long it takes before the odor becomes overwhelming. It may also have an adverse effect on the health of you and your family. Some cat litters come with chemical additives designed to make it smell less. These chemicals are very dangerous. When inhaled over an extended period of time, they can cause health problems including asthma, allergies, and cancer.
Does cat litter absorb odors?
You use a litter box to alleviate unpleasant smells, so litter should be able to absorb odors, right? This is true to an extent, but the performance is highly dependent on the type of litter that’s being used.
Clumping litter is designed to trap solid waste as clumps, and these clumps are then removed and replaced. The inside of the box where clumps used to be is left almost completely clean. Conversely, the litter underneath the clumps that has absorbed liquid throughout the months is left unsanitary and carrying odors.
The problem is that that the litter underneath the clumps that has absorbed liquid throughout the months is left unsanitary and carrying odors. This is where a good non-clumping litter can step in.
Cats are some of the most popular pets in the world, with their numbers estimated in the hundreds of millions. There are multiple reasons for this, but a major point is that they are extremely easy to maintain. This is mainly because they don’t require a lot of exercise, their grooming needs are minimal, and they are very good at hiding any signals of sickness. If you’re thinking of getting a cat, the most important decision to make is which litter box to get.
|ARM & HAMMER Clump & Seal Platinum Cat Litter||Best Overall|
|Neon Clumping Silica Gel Cat Litter||Budget Pick|
|Ever Clean Ever Fresh Litter||Upgrade Pick|