If your little feline is too thin and you want to get some muscle on him / her, it is important you select the proper canned food.
Often times, many owners use dry food just because it’s less expensive. We can’t exactly blame them given the fluctuating prices of meat and all, and also the fact that with time the taste for canned food wears off as well.
This makes it very difficult for your cat to even be motivated to eat which can be very dangerous for their health.
So, I recommend you find the best brand of weight gain cat food based on the ingredients and also reviews from real customers. It really pays off to get the best cat weight gain supplement and your cat will have many more years to enjoy his / her best years.
|Oxbow Animal Health Critical Care||Best Overall|
|Vitakraft Lick 'n' Lap Flavor Creamy Treats||Budget Pick|
|INABA Churu Lickable Purée Natural Cat Treats||Upgrade Pick|
1. Oxbow Animal Health Critical Care
- Easily available online
- A great choice for kittens as it is designed specifically to help them grow
- The supplement can be added to your regular pet food to add additional nutrients to their diet
- The key ingredient is Brewer’s yeast which is a good source of protein as well as vitamins and minerals
- Nutritional analysis of 30g serving size: Calories 564 kcal; Protein 13.7 g; Carbohydrates 122 g; Fat 7.1 g, including Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- It comes when you need it most: when you are faced with your cat’s health problems
- While some reviews noted the supplement made a difference, it can take time to see noticeable results. This supplement is not a drastic weight gain supplement for emergencies which you can see in the next product
- Many reviewers noted this product made their cat feel full for longer, which means you will need to be careful not to overfeed them and increase the cost.
This is a high-quality food supplement designed by veterinarians.
It helps your cat gain weight slowly and steadily by slowly increasing calories and adjusting the proportion of nutrients in the food.
The specific amounts are calculated and tested by the manufacturer and are printed on the supplement’s package.
2. EnerCal High Calorie Nutrition Suppliment
- Pure protein for weight gain
- Made in the USA
- Has a 100% money back guarantee
This is a high calorie, stand-alone, pure protein supplement for those with a cat that needs to get more nutrients into their diet. It contains 125 calories per tube.
One tube contains enough for 2-3 feedings for small animals or 1 feeding for large animals.
You can expect your pet to maintain healthy lean muscle mass and strong bones. It is also a great idea to give your pet extra supplements when they are pregnant or nursing.
3. Purina Fancy Feast Wet Cat Food Complement
- Available in a wide array of flavors
- Food should be given only to pregnant cat during the last two weeks of the pregnancy
This is a great choice for cat owners who want to make their cat eat right. Kitten owners have enjoyed the supplement, and they recommend it for any cat which needs to gain weight.
When feeding a pregnant cat, it is vital to give the cat plenty of food that is high in quality nutrients to help it grow and stay healthy. There are typically some concerns about whether or not to feed a cat before it gives birth; however, it is generally safe to feed a cat that is pregnant during the final two weeks of her pregnancy.
As far as the wet food goes, it is made from American grown meats. The product contains unique ingredients that come from the highest global sources. The fish used is from Alaska, and the veggies are from the U.S. and Canada.
4. Hartz Lickable Wet Cat Treats
- Meant for cats to lick
- Comes in a convenient pouch
- Great taste your cat will love
This is a unique treat for your cat that will work to keep it closer and encourage it to gain weight. It has a high-protein content and is highly palatable, which most cats love.
These treats are priced much higher than regular cat treats but cats usually get through these treats very quickly. The pouches make it convenient to open and serve.
My only complaint is that I am a little annoyed at how much these treats cost. I am not sure I want to pay more for the same result.
5. Pets Choice Nutri-Vyte Nutritional Supplement
- For larger adult cats
- Improves appetite
- Great to keep in your cat’s water bowl
- Some reports of cats liking the taste but it not working to improve appetite
- Cats tend to throw up after dosing
- Nutri-Vyte costs more than other supplements but comes with a one year money back guarantee
If your cat is older, has digestive problems, is not eager to eat, has renal failure, requires dialysis, or is diabetic then this may be a good product for you.
Nutri-Vyte is a nutritional supplement for cats that may help improve the appetite in cats that have kidney disease, diabetes, are overweight, elderly, or are recovering from an illness. It may help to stimulate digestion, increase appetite, and help your cat gain/retain lean muscle mass.
6. Under the Weather Pets
- Available in different quantities (250 gram; 1 kilogram)
- More work for the Betta parent since you have to get your pet to consume it
- Increased risk of constipation
The pellets are shaped so Betta fish can pick them up and consume them easily. Additionally, the pellets are high in proteins and are also an excellent source of various vitamins and minerals which are required for the growth of your Betta fish.
The pellets are intended for adult dogs and cats.
These pellets are palatable by being flavored with natural fish and malt. Cats and dogs actually love the taste of these pellets and also feel very comfortable consuming them.
7. INABA Churu Lickable Purée Natural Cat Treats
- Produced from high quality ingredients
- The treat is moist and delicious
- No added sugars or flavors
- The catnip smell makes the cat crazy
- They are made in Japan under the most careful supervision
- Since they are sticky and moist, they can stick to the fur of the cat and can make a mess
- If the cat does not like the taste, they may not eat them
- Young kittens may be allergic to catnip
Catnip is a common cat herb grown in most parts of the world. It is used to treat many diseases of the cat. Since it is a stimulant, it is also used to treat conditions such as sleeping disorders. The cat snacks made from catnip can be offered to relieve diseases such as headache and depression. It also improves appetite, relieves stress, and induces sleep. These snacks are the best treatment for diarrhea, stomach diseases, and vomiting. Catnip has medicinal properties that have been used for many years. It can be given to cats to relieve stress and muscle pain. The dried herb helps clean the blood and detoxify the liver. It speeds up the healing process and improves vision.
Catnip treats are a good meal supplement for cats with constipation problems. The treats help to improve their appetite and increase their body temperature. The treats also reduce flatulence and diarrhea.
8. Lexelium Weight Gainer and Appetite Stimulant
- Heavy weight gain
- Great appetite stimulation
- Service dog formula
- High energy formula
- High protein formula
- Healthy new density formula
- Low fat formula
- High fibre formula
- 12 healthy probiotic strains
- No artificial colours
- The texture can be quite thick
- It is not considered appropriate for puppies under 6 months
- Needs to be administered with food
A lot of companies tend to focus on making cat weight gain supplements with additives to increase the flavour, which can often be quite hard to swallow.
Lexelium Cat Weight Gainer is a 100% natural food supplement that is designed to stimulate the cat’s appetite which in turn, helps the cat gain weight. It is also shown to offer the cat with more energy and strength.
9. Vetoquinol Nutri-Cal High Calorie Nutritional Oral Gel Supplement
- I like that it has a maximum calorie count of 7000 per dose
- Noticeable results in a very short period of time
- This product has a great deal of reviews
Nutri-Cal is a full-flavored oral gel specifically formulated to provide cats and dogs with a highly palatable way to increase resting energy needs during nutritional recovery periods.
A high energy content of 10,000 calories per ounce helps to increase resting energy needs over a 24-hour period, as well as to help older dogs and dogs with pancreatitis maintain their ideal body weight.
Great for picky eaters! I like that it has small pieces of chicken so the cats find them very tasty. I also like that it supports lean body mass, heart, and immune function.
10. Ample Nutrition Digestive Enzyme
When animals get sick, they often lose weight and it can be difficult to get them back to a healthy weight. If your pet is sick and has stopped eating, Ample Nutrition Digestive Enzyme for Dogs & Cats could help. Since your pet will still be unable to eat any food with this supplement, it is important to make sure you are giving them enough water.
Ample Nutrition Digestive Enzyme for Dogs & Cats, 7.05oz – Tasteless Powdered Blend is completely flavorless, which is great because it will not affect the taste of his food. With the easy-to-sprinkle format, you won't have to worry about giving your pet a hard time getting these nutrients in every day.
11. GNC Pets Ultra Mega Premium Milk Replacer Formula Powder
- Food is fresh and made in USA
- It can increase weight gain in kittens and adult cats that are picky eaters
- The package has an accurate measurement to ensure that you don’t overfeed your cat
- It has calcium, which is vital for the health of your pet
- The price is affordable. This makes it easy to find even on a tight budget
- Some have reported that their cats were not able to digest it
- The product has gone bad even before it is used up
Overall, premium milk replacers for cats have a number of benefits when it comes to the health and well-being of your pet.
Cats love milk because it is a source of fat. However, cats are lactose-intolerant , which means that they do not have the enzymes needed to break down lactose.
12. Miracle Vet High Calorie Weight Gainer
- The best tasting supplement on the market
- Comes with free probiotics
- After each meal you give the pet, they will deposit the waste into a collection tray
- Does not smell awful like other brands
The company that produces this product claims that the key to weight gain is using a daily high-calorie supplement that dogs actually like. This is because dogs naturally love food and if your dog does have a hard time eating, this product will help them.
If you do decide to give your dog this product, it is a good idea to have a collection tray ready because your pet will poop straight after eating.
13. Catit Creamy, Lickable Cat Treat
The Catit Biscuit/Cat Treats for Cats is one of the most popular cat treats on the market and has received many positive reviews but is it worth it?
A lot of veterinarians recommend feeding cats smelly varieties like beef organs and fish. The flavor is not the problem for most finicky cats, it is the texture. Catit Creamy Lickable Cat Treats for Cats are soft and delicious and the flavor is not overpowering so your cat may just surprise you with how much he actually likes them.
They are not only tasty, they are also good for your cat. They are packed with vitamins as well as high quality proteins to give your cat the nutrients they need without the added weight. The cat treats are also good for constipation.
14. Mark & Chappell Nurish-UM Paste
- The majority of the cats that they seen showed good digestion of the product, using it without any great issues.
- This product can help with the bad breath that often comes with liver disease in cats.
- While it is a little expensive the product is fairly small, and uses a syringe that is easy to work with.
- A good number of the reviewers out for this product were vets, and they appreciated that it was designed to help with issues in both the liver and the kidneys of cats.
- There are some of the cats that did not do well with this product, which does bring up the concern about working with a product that utilizes fish liver oil.
- While it is a good way to provide a B-complex to a cat currently not eating, it has to be used in conjunction with some other solution to get the cat eating again over the long haul.
- There is no data to support the part about the fish liver oil helping the skin.
There is certainly the potential that this product will help, and a number of people claim that they have had good success with it. However, it is still a product that should be monitored closely, and should not be used in a situation where the cat is not eating.
15. Vitakraft Lick 'n' Lap Flavor Creamy Treats
- Low Calorie: The claims made by the manufacturer of Vitakraft Lick 'n' Lap Flavor Creamy Treats for Cats, Low Calorie, Grab-n-Go Squeeze Tube Treats or Saucy Food Topping, 5 Pack are pretty lofty.
- The manufacturer claims that they are some of the "greatest low calorie treats for weight gain in cats ever" and that they're another solution to the weight loss problems that your cat is experiencing.
- The fact that they are calorie-free is certainly a claim that we can get behind.
- There are a few cons, however, that you need to be aware of.
- For example this particular product really only comes in one flavor, which is chicken.
- So if you have a cat who has developed a Pavlovian response to the stimulus of the flavor, you might have an issue with him continuing to eat.
- This product is certainly not something that is going to be used by cats on a regular basis, because it doesn't give a lot of calories per serving.
- But in conjunction with a good diet, it certainly can't hurt.
16. TOMLYN Nutri-Cal Cats
- Keeps your pet healthy
- Easy to Give to your Cat
- Works well
- Designed for cats, not rabbits
- Excellent for cats, fed a diet that is too low in fat
- Helps overweight cats feel healthier and more energetic
- Recommended by vet
- Don’t give to a cat that is not overweight
- Some cats object to this flavor
Nutri-Cal’s unique formula boosts your pet’s daily fat requirements and helps prevent osteoarthritis and obesity in cats.
It supplies your cat with an easily digestible source of animal polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) which are essential to your pet’s health. It also contains chondroprotective properties and helps fight hairball formation.
17. PetAg Catsure Powder
- Provides added nutrition for daily feeding
- Vegan formula
- Gluten free, corn free, and wheat free
Catsure is a specialized powdered diet that is a great way to feed your cats to improve their overall well being.
Catsure features the same potassium content as fresh chicken and has added vitamins, minerals, taurine, choline and L-carnitine. Catsure is specialized for cats and their unique nutritional requirements and is a great way to help keep your cat healthy.
This product comes from PetAg, a leading pet nutrition company. The company makes high quality pet food products. This product is available at most pet supplies retailers.
18. PetAg High Calorie Gel
PetAg High Calorie Gel is a great option for cats that need a caloric boost. Intended for cats of all ages and conditions, PetAg High Calorie Gel will help your furry friend put on the weight to get back into shape.
PetAg High Calorie Gel comes in several delicious flavors. Your cat will be purring for more once they taste just how delicious PetAg High Calorie Gel is. Without the added nutrition, they may lose interest and not finish their meal. This product will turn mealtime into a real treat.
By increasing the caloric intake of your cat, you can ensure their body stays strong. A healthy body leads to a healthy mind and happy life. Thanks to PetAg High Calorie Gel, you can ensure your kitty has both.
19. Raw Paws Boost Flavor & Nutrition Pet Food Toppers
- Small enough to take with a cat when you travel
- Powder is added to dry food to make it more appealing
- The herbal ingredients used have health benefits for cats
- It can cause vomiting in some cats due to the herbs used
- The powder can cause upset stomach
- It can be messy
This uniquely blended herb powder has all the ingredients and inclusions that your cat needs to achieve and maintain optimal health.
The powder is created with 100% natural, raw, and human grade ingredients. This includes vitamins B6 and B12, chlorella, broccoli, sprouts, kelp, and spirulina.
The powder also contains 78 different minerals and 34 different vitamins.
20. Dr. Becker's Appetite Boost
- Promotes healthy weight gain and digestive functions
- Encourages your cat to eat more
- Includes 7 key ingredients for optimum weight gain
- Helps to keep your kitty’s coat, skin, and joints healthy
21. pawTree pawPairings Superfood Seasonings Healthy Food Topper & Flavor Enhancer
- Simple to use; simply sprinkle the desired amount on your pet’s food
- No more nasty food additives
- High quality product, full of ingredients that will help your hound get those nutritious vitamins and minerals they need to make them healthier
- Vet approved
- There are better examples of food toppers out there
- This product won’t help your pet lose or gain any weight
This all natural, additive-free superfood seasoning is so versatile. It’s intended for cats and dogs but will also work well on humans and various other pets including rabbits, guinea pigs, and chickens. It’s also an excellent addition to meals for wild birds and other wildlife. This isn’t a weight-gain supplement, but it does fortify dry food and will make your pet happier and healthier. It’s great to sprinkle on food but can also be used to create multiple dishes.
22. GNC Pets Ultra Mega High Calorie Booster Gel
- Supports calorie needs of pets
- All natural
- Your pet can enjoy the flavor
- Meets the high-calorie needs of pets up to an additional 30 lbs
- Can be used for diabetic animals
- Not typically used to treat hairballs, but is a viable and wholesome option and was found to be helpful by one of the reviews in this article
- May be a bit too rich for small dogs
This is an inexpensive non-prescription supplement which recently earned the endorsement of the National Animal Supplement Council and is meant to help your cat gain muscle and weight.
The product comes in a powder which is simple to mix with the food you feed your cat. The product also comes recommended by more vets than any other weight gainer.
The gel’s main ingredients are natural proteins. It also comes with vitamins A, C, D-3 and E and CoQ10. It has a beef flavor but can also be mixed with cat’s favorite pate or wet food (you want to make sure the food is moist and warm when you mix or shake the product).
23. Life Essentials by Cat-Man-Doo Freeze Dried Chicken Sprinkles 2oz.
- Many excellent features
- Exceptional results for weight gain
- Very affordable chicken supplement
- High quality product, does not smell bad
- Easy to mix with food
After having cats for some time you become an expert on cat food products, and there are a lot of differences when it comes to products with the "natural" tag.
This high quality chicken supplement comes with a scoop that makes it very convenient to use. And it provides your cat with all the nutrients and minerals it needs in a concentrated form. You can use it with any kind of food you give your cat, and you might see it going on a little weight trip.
This product is an excellent alternative to expensive cat food products that also provide your cat with the necessary nutrients.
24. Rachael Ray Nutrish Purrfect Broths Wet Cat Food Complement
- Complete balanced nutrition
- Won’t stick to your cat’s food bowl
And Gluten Free, 35 Servings, Chicken and Turkey (48 oz).
I’ve been supplementing my kitty with this Ziwipeak food for about a month and a half. Her favorite flavors are the turkey and the sushi.
When I first got my cat, she did not have an appetite. I would try putting little bits of treats next to her food but it seemed not to help. I found a few suggestions on the internet to use wet cat food to get your cat to eat, so I tried what many pet owners suggested.
25. NaturVet – Cat-Cal Nutritional Gel
Cat-Cal Nutritional Gel for Cats with Vitamins and Minerals is a nutritionally balanced nutritional supplement which also provides moisture and protein.
Cat-Cal Nutritional Gel Plus Nutrition Supplement contains high levels of dietary fiber. This fiber promotes a healthy digestive tract.
Cat-Cal Nutritional Gel Plus Nutrition Supplement is great for cats who are a little older, and need a higher protein content. This product will help to maintain a healthy weight while providing extra energy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What can I give my cat to help her gain weight?
It's normal for middle-aged cats to lose a little weight after spaying, especially if you use anesthesia or grain-free kibble. However, if your cat is a senior, then weight loss may be an early sign of illness.
One common reason for weight loss is a change in appetite. Since older cats are less active, it's normal for them to naturally start eating less. Sometimes decreased appetite is caused by a painful mouth or an underlying illness. Cats not only have taste buds, but they can also feel texture when they eat, so many senior cats often take a long while to eat because their mouths are tender.
Which is the best supplement for weight gain?
Both the bottle and website state that this product is safe for pregnant and nursing women. However, it is not FDA approved for either and it does contain many ingredients that are potentially dangerous for a growing baby.
Since the product is not approved, it is impossible to know what implications taking it might have on mother or child. On one hand, the website does mention that it contains no fillers and a single capsule is the intended serving size. Since the serving size is so small, the risk of causing an adverse reaction may be small.
We believe that if a woman is pregnant or nursing and considering this product that she should discuss it with her doctor first to determine if it is safe for her pregnancy or nursing baby.
What causes a cat to gain weight quickly?
If your feline friend suddenly starts to gain weight, there could be any number of reasons for it. First off, cats are able to safely lose weight very easily. It basically comes down to time and calories in and calories out. Making sure your cat has constant access to self-serve food stations can contribute to weight gain.
Can taking supplements make you gain weight?
The purpose of weight gain supplements for cats is to help you fatten up your cat if you feel that your cat is too thin. It can be tricky to tell if your cat is too thin and what the ideal weight is for its size.
Cat weight gainer supplements for cats can be obtained over-the-counter at most pet stores. These are meant to enhance the appetite by introducing a strong scent and flavor that your cat will find unappealing. Eventually, your cat should latch onto the food and finish the bowl.
There are many different brands that will have their own unique ingredient list. The first thing you'll notice when comparing these is the number of calories in a serving. What you're looking for is the higher the calories per serving, the better. Calories are the best you can do for your cat's weight gain.
When it comes to getting a cat to gain weight, it’s not that difficult. The main issue is figuring out what food to feed so that your cat also gains weight. You can read our quick comparison of the best cat weight gain food below. At the end of the day, you probably won’t have to look any further than those. They should be able to satisfy the needs of most cats that are trying to gain a few extra pounds.
|Oxbow Animal Health Critical Care||Best Overall|
|Vitakraft Lick 'n' Lap Flavor Creamy Treats||Budget Pick|
|INABA Churu Lickable Purée Natural Cat Treats||Upgrade Pick|