Fleas are the most annoying and difficult pests to deal with.
They’re persistent, fast and pretty much immune to the toxic chemicals we use to control them.
Their bites are extremely itchy, and the damage they do to our beloved felines is unjustifiable.
However, you can treat them effectively with an appropriate flea powder spray or veterinary prescription. Here are the best flea powders for cats.
|Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Powder||Best Overall|
|PETARMOR Home Carpet Powder||Budget Pick|
|Fleabusters Rx||Upgrade Pick|
1. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Powder
Diatomaceous earth is a non-toxic substance that is the fossilized remains of tiny oceanic plants/organisms that were squashed under the weight of water and sediment. They can be crushed into smaller pieces so it is easier to spread around. DE is an effective parasite killer in cats. It kills parasites on contact and, in heavily infested cats, it will start eliminating fleas within minutes and finish off eggs and larvae within about 24 hours. Since prey has trouble detecting DE, once a flea comes into contact with the powder, it essentially dehydrates it and dies, or at least stops feeding. This can cause fleas to drop off the cat.
This is a safe substance that is used in swimming pool filters. It is a good method to use since a cat’s metabolism is about twenty times faster than an adult man’s so it makes things much easier.
As well, DE causes fleas to dry out and die of starvation. It sticks to the fleas after they bite the cat and will suck moisture out of the flea which kills it.
2. EasyGoProducts Diatomaceous Earth
- You can use this in your Betta tank to control pests and parasites
- High quality packaging
- Easy to apply
DE is derived from fossilized algae and it goes by many other names such as fossil flour, shell flour, kieselgur, diatomite, or kieselguhr.
DE is one of the best desiccants and drying agents known to man, this is why it is so favored by pet owners. If you have problems with snails and fleas or other pests you can use this in your tank. It will eradicate existing water creatures and prevent new ones from coming in. The powdered form is usually safe for use in saltwater aquariums, and for freshwater use you can use 250-350 grams per five gallons of water. Remember to always check with the manufacturer prior to using any product in your fish tank. These Kitten Safe Flea Control Products will also help.
3. Nature's Wisdom Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth 5 lb.
- Very safe for cats and pets
- You don’t have to monitor the dosage
- May impact the water quality in your cat’s bowl
- The diatoms are ground too finely for some cats to pick up on their paws
This product is also great for cleaning up the fleas that are already in your carpet. If you sprinkle it all over your carpets and let it sit for a day before vacuuming, it will help loosen up the fleas and their eggs and will allow for easier vacuuming after.
The diatoms are originally from an ocean environment and are 100% natural; however, due to them being ground too finely, this can pose an issue as the fleas won’t be able to pick them up on their paws while walking through the affected area.
Don’t believe any of those products that say they can kill fleas in as little as 10 minutes. This product takes up to 72 hours to do its job so it is necessary to have patience and plan on you and your cat waiting at least a few days before coming back to an attractively flea-free floor.
4. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth 2.5Lb Jug
- Non-toxic & environmentally safe
- Can be used to kill and repel insects
- 100% organic and 100% safe to use around children and pets
- Food grade quality powder
- Not particularly effective for small insects such as fleas
- It is 100% natural, which means that you may have to repeat applications multiple times over a period of time to achieve the effect you desire
- Careful not to breathe in the powder – use mechanical means whenever possible
Diatomaceous Earth is a much safer alternative to toxic pesticides to treat ticks, fleas, and other parasites. Pet owners can rest assured knowing the product is safe and will not harm their pets, children or the environment.
Seven Paws Pet Products 4lb bag of DE is the same quality grade as our larger size which provides cost effective pricing providing the 30 day supply our customers have come to rely on for their smaller dogs and cats. This particular bag is ideal for Beagles, Chihuahuas, Minature Pincher, Pomeranians and Maltese.
Food Grades DE is generally more expensive than pool grade DE due to safety measures for commercial dietary applicators. Meets FDA, USDA, and AAFCO safety standards. Never use DE from sources that were not mined in the US.
5. DiatomaceousEarth DE10
- Readily available online
- Safe for cats and dogs
- Food Grade DE
- Packaging could be better
- Not for internal use
Diatomaceous earth is an all-natural product that is often recommended by veterinarians to kill fleas and prevent them from coming back. If you have been struggling with fleas, you should try this product to save time, money, and natural resources.
Diatomaceous Earth is a microporous substance composed of the fossilized remains of species of diatoms. The shells are composed of a mix of silica, calcium, and other minerals that are toxic to insects. Diatomaceous Earth is generally considered all natural, and it is totally safe for your pets and your family.
DE is most effective when applied to your pets directly.
6. HARRIS Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade
- Effective flea killer
- Safe to use around pets and children
- A great value
- Can be messy to use
- Can leave white residue
- Fine dust can get on pets
- Made in the USA
- Food grade diatomaceous earth
- Kills lice and bedbug
- Comes with free powder duster
Diatomaceous earth is a natural way to kill fleas and other insects and even parasites.
7. Fleabusters Rx
- Made with a blend of natural ingredients
- Effective for killing adult fleas on contact and from an overwhelming amount of cat hair
- Safe to use on kittens over 12 weeks
- Great for more than one cat
- Low cost
This paraben-free formula is a great solution for feline allergy sufferers with cats that tend to be sensitive to chemicals.
Key Benefits of Fleabusters Rx for Fleas Plus:
- Starts working in 10 minutes and removes 100 percent of fleas in 24 hours time; includes the eggs and flea cocoons
- Works well on indoor-only cats by taking care of fleas throughout the infestation cycle
- Contains pure neem oil and garlic powder oil to help exterminate fleas quickly
- Works well to prevent future infestations by killing flea eggs
- Contain’s a blend of lemon grass oil, eucalyptus oil, clove oil and cinnamon oil which are all effective ingredients for quick flea removal
- Provides outstanding flea protection for 14 days
- Safe to use on kittens over 12 weeks
- Great for more than one cat
8. Safer Brand 51704 Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- This product is effective against both internal and external parasites
- Diatomaceous Earth is a 100% natural product
- Comes with a convenient shaker lid
- It easily mixes with water
- This product isn’t available in smaller bags
- It takes a few days for the effects to really kick in
Diatomaceous Earth (also referred to as DE for short) is a naturally occurring substance that consists of fossilized remains of diatoms – tiny, unicellular algae-like marine plants. DE works by dehydrating the insects, causing them to die of dehydration.
DE is considered to be safe and effective because of its physical nature – it is not a chemical insecticide. It should not cause any negative side effects, unless you’re dealing with an infestation of fleas that is resistant to other pesticides or insecticide.
If the ants are coming in to your home from some sort of outside food source (like a bird feeder) you can use this to dust that outside food source, and they (the ants) will take the insecticide back to their colony (and over a few days to weeks, it should kill all or at least most of the ants).
9. Adams Flea & Tick Carpet Powder
- Nontoxic and safe for homes and pets
- Powder can be easily applied with a vacuum cleaner
This product from Adams is a must-have for anyone dealing with flea infestations. It’s completely safe for cats and will not cause any harm if they lick it.
Just sprinkle the powder on the carpeting and immediately vacuum it up to kill fleas and eggs. This product can also be used on pillows, furniture, and bedding.
10. Ginesis Bio-D
- Available at 10 pound bags
- Made from diatomaceous earth which is a naturally occurring non-toxic substance
- It acts as a desiccant and works to dehydrate pests
- Grown naturally so the pesticides are not harmful to your environment
- Applicators must wear a mask and gloves to avoid inhaling or getting into cuts or eyes as it is very fine dust
- You must apply a thick layer to the affected areas
- Use a dust mask and protective clothing when applying
Food grade diatomaceous earth is available in various forms, including liquids, gel baits, powders and granulated pellets. It is a non toxic substance that has a number of uses in many industries. Food grade diatomaceous earth is a great all natural pesticide alternative. It is a desiccant, meaning when you apply it the insects literally dehydrate and die.
It is also a great flea killer. It is a dehydrating agent that absorbs the skin. Fleas will mistake it for food, so they will ingest it and die.
It comes in a 10 pound bag. It is non-staining, non-stinking, not harmful to humans and considered a cure against most parasite infestations in animals and humans.
11. Rockwell Labs CXID032 Cimexa Dust Insecticide
- Kills fleas, ticks, roaches, ants, silverfish, and all stage of bed bugs
- Easy to apply
- Fast acting
- Safe for most surfaces
- Low odor
Another great insecticidal dust such as this one from Rockwell Labs is Cimexa Dust Insecticide.
Ok, it does say indoor and outdoor so you can use it in the home if your kitty develops a flea allergy, but I think the main use should be outside the home.
Just dip a brookie brush in water and brush it onto the target animals.
12. Diatomaceous Earth
- It is a completely natural product
- No harsh chemicals involved in its production
- It is a powder and may get messy when applying it
- It does not work on all types of fleas
Finally flea infestations can be removed from the home or apartment by using this diatomaceous earth powder. It is a completely natural product that has been used on humans for over one hundred years.
The product is very simple to use as all you need to do is dust the area where the fleas are and let the powder do its job.
Once applied you must avoid bathing your pet for 2 days. You must also wear a mask and gloves while applying this product.
13. Zodiac Flea & Tick Powder
- Works to eliminate all kinds of Flea infestation problems
- It rapidly kills fleas, with no mess, no fuss
- Its non-toxic approach leaves no side effects for animals or humans
- In addition to its anti-flea and tick application, it can also be used to keep flying insects such as mosquitos away
- It works both on dogs and cats
This flea powder is a Vet recommended product that comes in several sizes.
Zodiac Flea & Tick Powder for Dogs, Puppies, Cats, and Kittens, 6-ounce is a lotion that eliminates fleas and ticks and provides a 12-month protection.
This Flea product is a fantastic product for getting rid of ticks and fleas that might harm your pet.
14. Delta Dust Multi Use Pest Control Insecticide Dust
- Effective (most products are rated 5/5 stars and 3/5 stars respectively)
- Insect killers with no smell and no mess
- Produces less mess in the long run
- Ant killers (with no smell and no mess)
- Ant killers that work slowly over time
- You must continue to use the product in order for it to be effective
- Some reviews indicate that the product can be toxic
Explosion Proof Can, For Use Against Flies, Ants, Roaches, Spiders, Fleas, Ticks, Centipedes, Mosquitoes, And Other Pests.
Fleas are a common problem for cats and dogs, and you can protect your precious pet with these are flea powder treatments.
15. Natural Care Flea and Tick Carpet Powder
- Great Kills adult fleas and ticks in only a few hours of being applied
- Environmentally safe
- This product can be used in many other applications
Natural Care is a flea powder that is similar to some of the best flea powders that you will ever find, but it is also environmentally safe.
It will kill fleas on contact and is a great product to use in a carpet or furniture that is infested. It can also be used around cats or dogs as a treatment.
It is safe for you and your pet. This product is a great flea powder that you will want to have in your home if you want to fight the battle of fleas and ticks.
16. Bio Spot Active Care Flea & Tick Carpet & Upholstery Powder
- Powder contains spot-on active ingredients which penetrate the waxy layer of the flea eggs preventing of flea hatching
- Easy to use powder is odour free and works quickly, effectively and safely to kill fleas and ticks
Bio-Spot Active Care Powder is a carpet spray which eliminates fleas and ticks. The fleas and ticks are killed quickly and effectively by using this product. It is very user-friendly and will not sting the pets or the humans.
Prior to using Bio-Spot Active Care Powder, vacuum the floor thoroughly to completely remove fleas from the carpet. This formula is then applied to the carpet using the duster. Just press firmly to make sure the powder is applied on the cracks and crevices. It can be used for carpets, upholstery, and pet bedding.
17. Sergeant's Pet 3235 Flea & Tick Carpet Powder 16Oz
- Provides an effective alternative to out of door flea control treatments
- Comparatively low price
- Relatively slow action
- The instructions are a bit confusing
Fleas are a pest for all kinds of animals everywhere, so it makes sense that something has to be done about them. If you are the owner of a pet, particularly a cat, you will want to try to avoid the fleas at all costs. This is because fleas can actually bite the pet and deposit harmful diseases and other things that can cause it to need to go to the doctor. You can try to avoid the flea infestation by dousing your pet in flea powder. Although, this may not be enough to get rid of the fleas that are already on your pet. This product will kill the fleas that are on your pet, but also stop any fleas from attacking your pet in the future.
18. Ortho Home Defense Max Bed Bug & Flea Killer Powder
- Long lasting formula (8-12 months)
- Convenient usage
- Bed Bug Powder
- Good price
- Natural, herbal ingredients without harsh chemicals
- Even though it claims to kill flea eggs, some pet owners (like me) have experienced them hatching even after I have used this product.
- Some find the formula a little too strong for kittens and puppies.
- Can be a little messy
The Ortho Home Defense Max really is one of the most dependable and affordable products on the market. It boasts to have a formula that effectively kills fleas and bed bugs in your home and on your pets, attacking them from the inside out. While effective for the entire 8-12 month duration, it will not leave a strong smell behind, which can be annoying throughout the use of this product.
This particular product is a powder formula, meaning you will need to apply it directly onto the cracks and crevices in your bed, couch, and subfloors to ensure maximum exposure. It has been known to leave a powder residue on your furniture, although an excess wiping can remove this effectively.
19. DERMagic Diatomaceous Earth Dust
- Non-Toxic & DE safe for pets and humans (when mixed properly)
- Controls fleas without harmful chemicals or harsh pesticides
- Extremely safe and effective
- It doesn’t kill the ants as fast as the other products in this range do
- Only for external application. Do not use this product if your pet already has open wounds
This can be applied in either dry or wet powder form and makes indoor use easy. Try mixing this with a bit of water to make a paste to apply to them.
This can directly kill fleas and their eggs to give you relief and start building an effective barrier against future issues. You can use this on any non-porous surface including floors, walls, furniture, carpets, and pet bedding.
It’s also effective against kill other parasites such as ticks, pantry moths, carpet beetles, ants, bed bugs, lice, and flies.
20. PETARMOR Home Carpet Powder
- Amazing value
- Professional strength
- Works to control ticks as well
- Proven safe for pets and kids
- Free shipping
- Exceptional odor control
- Company has been around for over 30 years
This stuff can get rid of fleas, ticks, flea eggs, and larvae for good, and will leave carpets and flooring smelling fresh and deodorized, all without dangerous chemicals. This is a quality product from a company that has been around for generations. This product only needs to be used once and it will work to eliminate flea infestations by killing fleas eggs, larvae eggs, ticks, and fleas. It will not leave a residue. It is safe to use it around dogs, cats, and kids.
This product is hypoallergenic and is safe for your family to be around. It protects your carpets from fleas and keeps your home free from damaging tracks. It is water soluble, so it will not leave stains or sticky globs behind. Each bag comes with a scoop, so there is no guessing or door tail estimation needed to use it correctly.
21. TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Sprays & Powder
- This product is one of the more affordable options
- The effectiveness of the product is backed up by positive reviews
- It can be used on cats as well as dogs
- It is not designed to be sprayed on pets with long hair
- Some cats are allergic to it
Plus De-Scented which is all-natural to eliminate fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, lice, mites, flies, ants, roaches, wasps, bed bugs & more.
The TropiClean natural product is available for dogs, cats and dogs. The company has been in business since the 1980s and have been producing this product for over 10 years now.
They offer a money-back guarantee that they have been reliable.
22. Enforcer 20-Ounce Flea Killer
- Effective AND Affordable
- 20 Oz. Bottle Will Last For Weeks
- Lots Of Customer Reviews Making It One Of The Best Flea Killing Agents
- Will Need To Be Applied Over And Over Again
- It Doesn’t Remove Any Fleas Or Eggs From The Carpet, So You’ll Have To Remove Them Some Other Way
This is one type of Flea killer that is in powder form These are more ideal to be applied over the Carpet.
The one thing we love about Flea powder is that most of them are cheap where it’s good for people living in cash budgets.
This particular brand has a lot of customer reviews which means this product does work for most of the customers that have tried it.
23. Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade OMRI Listed
- Non-toxic alternative to harsher flea treatments
- The powder can be sprinkled on the carpet or used in your vacuum
- Dries the fleas to death without leaving any harmful residue
- Works the best on carpeted areas
- Needs to be reapplied after each vacuuming for the best results
- Not effective against eggs which means that you will need to reapply every few weeks to keep infestations at bay
- If used carelessly, you could end up ingesting the powder
Diatomaceous Earth is one of my favorite flea treatments for cats. It is a natural dirt-like powder made out of the skeletons of tiny sea creatures that has an abrasive quality. But, you don’t want to get this stuff on your hands or you’ll struggle to get it off! So wear gloves and do not breathe it in.
If you want to help to control your flea infestation, applying DE to your carpet is a good idea. Some pets tolerate it better than others; I’ve never heard of a cat being harmed by it, but it may harm your pets with sensitive skin.
24. Hartz UltraGuard Flea
- Excellent for monthly dosing
- Waterproof for up to 24-hours
- A good choice for dogs as well as cats
- Made from flammable materials
- Not recommended for kittens less than 8 weeks
Hartz UltraGuard is low-odor and easy to use. It repels and kills fleas, ticks, lice, and mosquitoes on contact. It even conditions and re-invigorates your cat’s skin and coat.
This stuff is extremely useful in reducing the need to manually administer any other flea treatments, providing you with extra assurance that your kitty will not be getting a bite anytime soon.
25. The Ecology Works
- Great value for the price
- Safe and easy to use
- 100% natural and organic
- Non-toxic for humans, animals, and the environment
- Can be used for cats, dogs, and around the home
- Ability to get rid of fleas on pets through their coat and through the bedding
- Can also be used to get rid of dust mites in the carpet
- Smells nice
This pre-mixed, ready-to-use powder can be added to the washing machine like any other detergent. It will kill fleas and ticks for up to 6 months without having an effect on the washing machine itself. It is recommended that you regularly empty the lint trap until there are no fleas and ticks left.
It is recommended that you use the powder on your pets and your carpets. You should also change your animals' bedding when you notice that the fleas are gone. This should help you ensure that your home is completely clean.
You should make sure that you are very careful when you are using the powder around your pets, as it can irritate their skin if you use too much. You should start with small amounts since it is very user-friendly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best flea powder for cats?
These products sell well, but how effective they are is a different matter. First, we always recommend you consult your vet to rule out any other issues like flea allergy or something like a fungal infection, which can lend to similar symptoms.
However, if skin itching seems to be your only problem, then the best flea powder for cats is one that contains a combination of insecticide, insect growth regulator, and an insect repellent. Some also have emulsifiers, preservatives, and wetting agents. Get the strong stuff like Farnam's Matador Flea Powders (I know it's gross, but it works).
Warning: Don't use a general insecticide powder–this can be dangerous.
Is flea powder good for cats?
If so, which flea powder do I buy? In this case, your first step is to make sure that flea powder is right for your cat. This is important because, although the product was originally designed for dogs, it is also used by cat owners.
While flea shampoos are usually used for dog fleas, it is more complicated to treat fleas in a cat. That’s because you’ll need to stop fleas before they lay eggs, while the shampoos aren’t as effective. This is why a lot of owners prefer to use flea powder for cats instead.
The product works to kill fleas by disrupting their digestion and stopping them from being able to lay eggs. Of course, the product is also pretty cheap and doesn’t require your pet to be bathed.
Does flea powder really work?
This is a common question among cat owners. Some people doubt that flea powder can actually work. Since it's unlikely for any flea product to work as effectively as flea topical preparations. The problem is that topical treatments like topical flea treatments only take care of a single topical repellent mechanism.
This means that the topical formula will only work as effectively as the single mechanism it uses. While some topical products take advantage of multiple repellent mechanisms, even with multiple mechanisms they are still at the mercy of your cat's behavior patterns.
Now that we understand why flea powder can work to eradicate a flea infestation, we can easily understand how it can be more effective than topicals. Flea powders rely on contact. This means that the formula will only take care of the fleas that physically come into contact with the powder.
What is the best flea killer on the market?
Fleas can be a big problem for owners of cats. These small insects can cause itching and discomfort. More seriously, they can carry diseases such as tapeworms, ringworm, and Lyme disease – all of which are potentially very dangerous to your pet and humans in the house.
Fleas are also very hard to get rid of. While your cat can usually take care of the problem themselves, there will inevitably come a time when you have to step in and exterminate the problem. If you have other pets, this is especially important ‗ fleas can spread rapidly!
Additionally, cats may develop allergies from fleas, which can make them sick and uncomfortable. In a worst-case scenario, fleas can kill your cat. So, it’s very important to use a safe and effective flea killer if you have a flea problem.
After extensive research, we now have a list of flea powders for cats that we’ll be presenting below.
We’ve not only reviewed the products based on price, durability and ease of use but also how user-friendly they are. Each product should be an ideal solution for any cat owner who wants to keep their cats free from fleas.
If you’re looking for the best flea control powder for cats, then reviews will provide you with all the information you need to be confident in your purchase. You’ll be able to choose the ideal product for you based on budget and usage.
|Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Powder||Best Overall|
|PETARMOR Home Carpet Powder||Budget Pick|
|Fleabusters Rx||Upgrade Pick|