As cats age, they need different nutrition to maintain their health and vitality.
Cats expend less energy and they slow down, and this is very noticeable when they reach their twilight years. They start to enjoy their downtime, sleeping and spending less time on the prowl.
However, this doesn’t mean that you should feed them any old senior cat food. If you want them to eat well and maintain a healthy body weight, you need to avoid cheap cat food, and make sure you select the best cat food for elderly cats that’s suitable for them.
|Purina Fancy Feast Adult Canned Wet Cat Food||Best Overall|
|Purina Friskies Lil' Soups and Lil' Grillers Cat Complements||Budget Pick|
|Hill's Science Diet Wet Cat Food||Upgrade Pick|
1. Purina Fancy Feast Adult Canned Wet Cat Food
- The meat in this food is sourced from specialists so you are safe in knowing that the source is of a superior quality
- The proteins they use are red meat, poultry and fish
- The taurine for this product is not sourced from China
- You can purchase this product in small tins even if you have a small house cat
- The manufacturer states that it is available for 24 months of the can
- This product has different flavors, which are: salmon, shrimp, and chicken
- This product does not have any artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Some users report that this product has a foul smell
- The price of this product is expensive
- The manufacturing date is difficult to determine
This wet diet is perfect for older cats that are refusing to eat their dry cat food.
Purina focus on senior cats with their new Fancy Feast Healthy Weight Management wet cat food.
This is an ideal meal for senior felines that need to keep their weight under control.
2. Purina Pro Plan Senior Canned Wet Cat Food
- Value for money
- High in protein
- Just average on the meat front
- But a tad lacking on the fruits and vegetables front
Purina Pro Plan Senior Canned Wet Cat Food is formulated to be tasty enough that your senior cat will enjoy each meal. By serving Pro Plan Senior wet cat food they are receiving nutrients that help support life-long renal function.
Additionally, Purina Pro Plan Senior canned wet cat food contains a life-sustaining combination of protein and fiber to help the kidneys function at their best. It also includes vitamin and minerals that help support bone strength and activity.
Speaking of activity, like most senior cats, it is going to be important to help your kitty stay as active as possible, particularly if they are prone to idleness. You do want to try and keep your kitty slim, as it will help their joints.
3. Blue Buffalo Healthy Aging Natural Mature Dry Cat Food
- A grain-free option
- High quality ingredients mean your senior cat will get the nutrients they need
This dry cat food from Blue Buffalo is said to be a very popular choice among senior cat owners. This diet uses its patented LifeSource Bits, which are meant to provide more than just the nutritional content that your cat needs, but also has other features that keep them healthy, such as help with mental stimulation.
The company has also designed this food to help decrease tartar buildup. This is important for older cats, as they are more likely to have dental issues and problems. Hopefully this will eliminate some of the problems you will face with that.
4. Hill's Science Diet Dry Cat Food
- Meaty bites
- Real chicken
- rather high prices
- too many taurine deficiencies
The Hill's Science Diet dry cat food for elderly cats is available in beef, chicken, salmon, and turkey flavors in 3.5 ounce dry cups that are available in 30 and 40 pound bags.
This best cat food for old cats has been created to be complete and balanced with all the nutritional needs that an elderly cat has.
It contains a higher amount of the protein sources that cats need and extra amounts of taurine and L-Carnitine to help in dealing with some of the issues an older cat has.
5. Iams Proactive Health Healthy Senior Dry Cat Food
- Light in weight
- It uses natural ingredients
- It comes in various sizes to suit your cat
- It comes with a reasonable price
- Very easy to feed your cat
- It comes in a dry type
The Iams Proactive Health Healthy Senior Dry Cat Food, Chicken Flavor is great for your cats overall health and well-being because it is specially formulated to maintain your cats kidneys, liver, arteries, skeletal system, and oral health.
This product comes with the right amount of protein, fiber, and harmful nutrients to keep your aging cat's life much healthier and longer. This food also helps to maintain your cat's weight in a more healthy manner as it can often be very hard to keep an older cat's weight down.
The flavor of this food is chicken and it is a dry type. The texture of this product is quite soft and it is easy for an older cat to chew and digest.
6. Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity Senior 7+ Adult Dry & Wet Cat Food
- For aging cats
- Moist and dry food in one bag
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
Purina One® Vibrant Maturity Senior 7+ is an all in one dry and wet formula that provides cats with the nutrients they need to thrive during the aging process. It is ideal for senior cats, less active cats or cats with special needs.
It promotes healthy aging, slowing the supportive effects of aging. Plus it contains antioxidants that help to provide immunity support.
This is a cat food brand that you will know you can count on. Purina One® has made their formula to be tasty, leaving your cat wanting to eat the whole bowl.
7. IAMS Perfect Portions Healthy Grain Free Wet Cat Food,
Dry Cat foods have always been the most popular option for kitties. However, that is quickly changing with the introduction of Perfect Portions by Iams.
Perfect portions are small, moist, and highly nutritious individual sized servings of cat food. This is a great solution for cats that are finicky eaters or that don’t get enough nutrition from their food due to the cat’s age, lack of teeth, or small mouth.
In a recent survey, senior cats have proven to have a less appealing aroma, and the food becomes less appetizing to the cat. Finicky cats may be less interested in the snack cat food simply because it’s smaller and looks less like their usual food offering.
8. Royal Canin Aging 12+ Canned Cat Food
- High-protein food for older cats
- High fiber content
- Specifically designed to maintain the health of older cats who are losing weight
- Excellent source of vitamins and minerals for older cats
4.5-oz, Case of 12
Royal Canin is one of the major players in pet food. They offer a wide variety of foods, most of which are high-quality. This product is made for older cats. It is formulated to be used for cats that are in their senior years. If you have a 10 or 12 year old cat then you should check this product out on Amazon.
The main features of this cat food is that it is high in protein and fiber. This is ideal for older cats. They are at a point of their life where they have slower metabolisms. That means they need less food.
9. Purina Friskies Lil' Soups and Lil' Grillers Cat Complements
- Designed from senior cat owners
- Keeps older cats happy and healthy
Our cats live long and happy lives but what happens when that day of the rainbow bridge arrives? For you that means the passing of a part of your family. For your cat it means the loss of a warm place to sleep, a regular supply of food and most likely a loss of dignity.
Older cats lose some of their ability to taste. This can cause them to not eat as much. Taste is not the only sense that they lose. With age, they are more and more likely to have issues with eyesight and hearing.
With no real medical need to put your kitty on a diet they may find themselves eating less as their senses fade and as their bodies age. This causes a condition known as frailty. If your elderly cat is showing symptoms of frailty then your cat is suffering from a lack of vital nutrients.
10. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult & Senior Dry Cat Food
- Natural ingredients
- Can be used for a variety of breeds and ages
- High quality protein content
This senior cat food is one of a kind. The ingredients are wholesome and healthy, as well as containing essential nutrients for your kitty’s diet.
It comes in a variety of flavors and you can use it for various breeds and ages of cats. If you have a large feline, you can use this brand.
11. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein
- Available in multiple protein levels
- Highly reviewed by owners
- Not the cheapest option
When it comes to meals for older cats, you want to make sure the food has abundant moisture. The Blue Buffalo Dry Food contains plenty of moisture.
As your cat ages, it can be hard to get them to eat. This can lead to a lot of stress for owners. It can also be unhealthy for the cat.
With the Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Mature Dry Cat Food, you should be able to get your cat to eat, without that much fuss.
12. Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus Senior 7+ Adult Dry Cat Food
- Having an optimized blend of proteins, fat’s and carbohydrates and having proper nutrient ranges help promote a healthy digestive system in cats
- Mixing this cat food with water will increase the flavor of the food
- The nutrients will benefit many parts of your cat’s health including digestion, immune systems, skin and coat
- Having a large bag means you won’t have to re-order your cat’s food for a while
- Purina pro plan is created by Purina, a food company that creates food for multiple species. There are many people who believe that Purina is not committed to pet health and only wants to sell you chemicals
- Although there are many vitamins in the food it has a high amount of phosphorus which can be bad for cats with urinary tract problems.
Mixes Well, Made With Real Chicken, And Contains Vitamins For Older Cats.
13. Royal Canin Appetite Control Spayed/Neutered 12+ Adult Dry Cat Food
14. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free
- Has a high ingredient content
- Easily digestible by older cats
I feed my older cat one can of this food per day. If she eats it all, I give her a small amount of what I feed her the other two times of day. If she doesn’t finish it, it stays out for her to nibble on, but she doesn’t usually eat it all in one sitting. She prefers to go back for bites of her meals at various times during the day.
I am happy with the quality of this food and my kitty is, as well. It’s pretty easy to find in stores, and the company also has solid word-of-mouth from cat owners.
15. Hill's Science Diet Wet Cat Food
- The food is formulated by a veterinarian to help your cat live a healthy and long life
- There is a great variety of flavors and textures to choose from
- This food will appeal to both dry and wet-fed cats
- It is one of the few available in a large bag size
- This food is viewed as a quality food alternative among other brands that are much more expensive
- The large bag can only be ordered online and not purchased at a retailer
- Some dry cat foods are more appealing to cats than others
This food is formulated using the guidelines from the AAFCO, which is endorsed by the American Veterinarians Association.
It has levels of protein, minerals, and vitamins that are adjusted to a cat's natural diet. The ingredients are specifically listed on the product.
I recommend this food if you're looking for something that is affordably priced, easily available, and of high quality.
16. Royal Canin Instinctive Thin Slices in Gravy Wet Cat Food
- Available in four flavors
- A very good price for a senior cat food
This food is made with the same high quality ingredients that you would expect from Royal Canin. For a product of this price the number of positive reviews really surprised me, so I was eager to see what their cat food was made of.
The second thing I noticed is Royal Canin is one of the few brands that made their senior cat food with a high amount of protein. You might be thinking more protein is not what a senior cat needs, but think about it, more protein will help keep their muscles strong.
This product comes in four flavors: Chateaubriand, Veal with Rice, Pureed White Fish Filet, and Chicken with White Rice.
17. Hill's Science Diet Dry Cat Food
- Good cat food for older cats
- There are no artificial dyes or artificial flavors
- Low calories
- It helps keep your cat's intestinal tract
- It is grain Free
The cat food is made from chicken and contains added antioxidants and contains a number of vitamins. There is also added omega-3 fatty acids and botanicals to support a healthy skin and coat.
The Hill's Science diet cat food for older cats should be your choice if you are concerned about the aging process occurring in your older cat.
What makes this type of cat food ideal is the fact that it is highly palatable. The way this cat food tastes makes it easier for older cats to eat it.
18. Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Indoor 7+ Dry Adult Cat Food
- Larger kibble to aid older cats with dental issues
- Large kibble is also easier to chew, making this an ideal choice for older cats
- Antioxidants help protect older cats against age-related diseases
- Minimal sugars and carbohydrates ensure daily food intake remains stable and prevent diabetes and obesity
- Contains taurine to prevent heart and eye diseases
- The larger kibble may be too large for some owners
- Some owners found the food itself a bit dry
Royal Canin most recently introduced one of the best foods for senior kitties that are prone to dental issues. This is a great choice for older felines who may already be having issues.
It’s a large kibble, which means it’s ideal for the kitties who may not have the best oral health. The large kibble is also easier to chew, making this an ideal choice for older cats.
19. Blue Buffalo Blue Indoor Hairball Control Mature Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Cat Food
- Made with chicken and brown rice for great taste
- An excellent source of fiber and protein to help deter hairballs
- Natural ingredients
- Grain-free formula
- No chicken or poultry by-product meals
- Hypo-allergenic formula for healthy cats
This food is suitable for cats who are healthy or have a mild case of hairballs. It’s a high quality, natural product that tastes great too.
It’s a complete and balanced diet for healthier skin and hair. It gives your older cat the protection it needs and is specifically designed to prevent hairballs in cats.
20. Petcurean Now Fresh Senior Cat Food
- Packed full of good nutrients
- For Indoor Only Cats
My personal cat loves to eat this kind of food. He doesn’t stop licking his bowl clean, and I can’t blame him. We always have a stash of 1.5-pound boxes of this wet cat food in our kitchen, because that’s all my cat will eat. Turns out, he’s not the only cat that likes this food.
There are countless positive reviews from real people who are just as impressed with the Petcurean Now Grain Free Senior Food as I am.
One of the biggest benefits of Petcurean Now Grain Free Senior food is that because it’s made for indoor-only cats, it’s low in moisture, which means that my cat can take a while to eat it and get all of the nutrients that he needs.
21. Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Indoor Dry Cat Food
- Properly and safely feeds the cat's age-related needs
- Gives older cats the nutrition they need
- Short ingredient list makes it possible to recognize what the cat is eating
- Good amount of protein and low calories
- Cats may decide not to eat the food
- Runs out quickly
In a study which looked at more than 4,000 cats, it was found that felines over 7 years old had spikes in glucose and insulin. These spikes can lead to various health problems that are more common in older cats, including hyperthyroidism, diabetes and arthritic pain.
The study also found that cats 7 and older were unable to digest highly processed dry food properly. The inflammation caused by the processed food impacted the pancreas, leading to insulin resistance and thus making it harder for them to process their own food.
Processed cat foods primarily contain carbohydrates from grain, while this food contains healthy protein and fat sources.
22. Blue Buffalo Blue Healthy Gourmet Indoor Mature Chicken Entree Wet Cat Food
- This product is a very high-level food and is formulated to cater to your cats needs as they get older
- This product is widely seen as a high-quality wet cat food
- This product has a unique blend of natural ingredients
- This product contains chicken as the first ingredient
- It is a grain free product
- This product can be seen as more expensive than other products available
- Some users are not fans of the texture found in this product
12-Ounce (3 Pack).
The Blue Buffalo Blue Healthy Gourmet Indoor Mature Chicken entree wet cat food comes in three 6.5 ounce cans and is 90 percent moisture.
The high quality ingredients contained in the Blue Buffalo Blue Healthy Gourmet Indoor Mature Chicken entree wet cat food serve as a great source of food for your cat.
23. Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Natural Mature Pate Wet Cat Food
- Wholesome, free-range chicken meat
- No grains for cats with sensitive stomachs
- Easy to digest
- A little bit on the expensive side
- It would help if the cans were made of material that is more environmentally friendly
(Best For Senior Cats)
This formula features real chicken as the first ingredient, which is good news for cats with sensitive stomachs. It is also perfect for those older cats that are not as active as they used to be. The manufacturer states that the protein content in their cat food is very important. Cats need good quality protein if they want to grow and stay fit and healthy.
The food is grain-free, and this is important if you want to avoid excessive weight gain in your pet. The manufacturer also uses whole-meat chicken in the product, and senior cats need a healthy level of protein if they want to stay healthy.
24. Nulo Senior Freestyle Grain Free Dry Cat Food
- High quality ingredients from the U.S. or New Zealand
- Amazingly simple kibble structure for the older/wiser cat
- We love the very small kibble size for little mouths
- Low in fat and calories
25. Halo Natural Dry Cat Food
- Can help with diarrhoea, vomiting, food allergies and weight loss
- Helps to restore old cats’ natural digestive balance
- A high quality, natural cat food
- Available in both wet and dry varieties
- The initial absorption of the nutrients might cause some diarrhoea this should only be temporary
- Can cause constipation in some cats
- Quite expensive compared to other cat foods
- Bursts if frozen
When feeding your mature cat, try adding a little wet food to the dry food as this is simpler to digest than a full meal of dry food would be.
Frozen fish can be used as an alternative to fresh fish but should always be defrosted in the fridge rather than at room temperature to avoid damaging the fish's enzymes.
Consider adding probiotics (found in yogurt) to your pet's food once a week. This can help to restore the natural balance of gut bacteria which, if imbalanced, can lead to stomach upsets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What cat food is best for older cats?
In order to maintain your cat's health, you will want to feed them a cat food specifically tailored to senior cat's needs. Older cats have specific nutritional requirements to maintain their health, reduce potential complications from common degenerative conditions, and keep them living a happy and satisfied life.
You will also want to avoid feeding your old kitty any food that is going to tax their digestive tract. If you have any issues with diarrhea, constipation, or inflammation in the stomach and intestines, then you will want to avoid processed foods and look for a more natural, grain-free cat food with whole meats and other natural sources of protein.
For most older cats, this doesn't mean you need to eliminate high-quality dog food if it's all you can afford. However, if you are able, you should try cat food specifically designed for seniors.
What is the best wet cat food for senior cats?
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing best senior cat food is the protein percentage. As you might have suspected, because they age, senior cats can suffer from a condition called renal failure.
This can lead to slower metabolism which can result in decreased appetite. This means that the older cat can be less likely to seek out specific protein sources. The good news is that most of the premium wet cat foods will offer sufficient protein to meet the needs of older cats. They do this by adding chicken, beef, or fish.
The old cat won’t be getting all the protein… you will be! But it’s worth it to keep your fur baby healthy.
Is Wet food better for older cats?
Cats are notorious for being fussy eaters. If your cat is a senior, then it may be even more finicky than before.
Treats and wet food, in general, tend to be more popular with older cats because they are more bony and are easier to chew. Smaller kibble size may also improve the digestion of food and help reduce the risk of constipation. Older cats need more nutrients than younger cats because they tend to be less active and burn fewer calories.
One important fact to remember is that wet food contains higher calories than dry food. For this reason, you'll need to reduce the serving size of dry food to compensate for feeding wet food. So, which wet foods contain fewer calories than dry food? Most canned foods contain 250 calories per cup of food; this is a general average – there are plenty of lower calorie options and also some high-calorie choices available.
How do you fatten up an old cat?
While many cats enjoy the same weight on their senior years as they did on their younger years, some don’t. Some cats have difficulty maintaining weight, especially after surgery or when under stress. If your cat just won't fatten up, it may be in need of a specialized diet.
The following foods are the best senior cat food for older cats because they are high in protein and fat, meaning they will take longer to digest and are thus metabolized slower in cat's bodies. This will encourage your cat to feel full longer, fattening up your cat as a result.
If you have an older or overweight cat and you want to try a high-fat diet, these are our top picks. To make them easier to find, we’ve highlighted the best high-fat food for a cat in each price range on the Amazon table.
Having an older cat offers you quite a few challenges that you’ll just never have with your younger kitty. We make a point of recommending a good high quality senior kitten food that can help with certain health-related problems of an elderly cat, like overweight or urinary tract issues.
We also emphasize to stick to a vet’s feeding schedule as much as possible – your vet knows your elder cat’s health, medical history, and can prescribe targeted foods specific to your kitty’s needs.
|Purina Fancy Feast Adult Canned Wet Cat Food||Best Overall|
|Purina Friskies Lil' Soups and Lil' Grillers Cat Complements||Budget Pick|
|Hill's Science Diet Wet Cat Food||Upgrade Pick|